Cyano and closed corals

Fsanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get started I have a 120 gallon tank with 40g sump. I got the whole set up from a lfs so it was already matured and with that I let it sit for about a month before adding any new corals or fish to it. Since then I've added two zoo colonies that were doing great and growing like crazy. I added a GSP, two riccordea and a BTA. Everything was doing awesome until after one water change the zoas started to close up. I then got a cyan outbreak and my two zoas are now almost completely closed. Im assuming whatever caused the cyano is also messing with the corals. Here are the params of my tank

Nitrate - 5ppm
Phos - .25ppm
Calcium - 380
dKh - 8
pH - about 7.5
lighting is 4 T5 bulbs, 2 antic 2 coral plus and a currentUSA orbit used only for the blue light

To fight this I've added chaeto to the refugium, I added reactors with GFO and Carbon, I lowered the lighting schedule to 8 hours a day and Ive stopped feeding reef roids and cut back on fish food which is flakes. I do weekly 10% water changes using 0 TDS Rodi water and Fritz RPM salt. I've noticed a slight improvement to my cyano after about a week of running the gfo and carbon but no luck with the corals. Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
F

Fsanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since posting this I still have most of the Cyano although it is less dense than it was. I’ve decided to go the Chemiclean route so the first 48 hrs will be up this evening and I’ll do a water change and see the progress. As it’s looking now the corals have opened up slightly but it looks like the chemiclean did not get rid of all the bacteria. After the water change I’m going to give it a few days and possibly do a second dose coupled with a 3 day blackout. I’ll post updates as they happen.

OP
OP
F

Fsanzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20% water change earlier, siphoned out as much of the remaining cyano as possible. After the water change my corals and anemones have looked the best I've seen in the last few weeks. Tested for phosphates which are down. We'll see after a few days how much, if any, cyano comes back and go from there. Im almost positive this was just a result from over feeding reef roids and fish food so I'm cutting down on both of them. I will also be switching off of flake food in the future.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is to high , .1 or less
Jesus that ph is alarming low .7.8 - 8.4
Calcium is a little low 410 or more
And vacuuming the sand/gravel during water changes is good for removing nutrients.they build up in the gravel. I would be using Kalkwasser to bring up the calcium and bring up the PH and lower the phosphate. Watch you don’t go over 9 DKH .
Chemiclean for the cyano.
good luck

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back