Cyano, dino, or something else?

Marco333

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over four years old. 40 Breeder with HOB skimmer and refugium with Chaeto that I harvest weekly. I do a weekly 5 gallon water change including some sand vacuuming. For about the past month my sand has been growing this brown substance on it. It goes away at night and gradually comes back as the lights get brighter throughout the day. I found a forum post here about a dino test where you add hydrogen peroxide to a container with some of the substance. After about 10 minutes I did see bubbles on the strands of substance which leads me to believe it is some sort of brown Cyano. Any suggestions on treating this? Should I run a does of ChemiClean?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters?

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over four years old. 40 Breeder with HOB skimmer and refugium with Chaeto that I harvest weekly. I do a weekly 5 gallon water change including some sand vacuuming. For about the past month my sand has been growing this brown substance on it. It goes away at night and gradually comes back as the lights get brighter throughout the day. I found a forum post here about a dino test where you add hydrogen peroxide to a container with some of the substance. After about 10 minutes I did see bubbles on the strands of substance which leads me to believe it is some sort of brown Cyano. Any suggestions on treating this? Should I run a does of ChemiClean?

It's getting close to having old tank syndrome that's stored phosphates in your sandbed but disturbing it to clean it at this point will likely wipe your tank

Try and leach it with some sort of remover

Exact reason I went bare bottom

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that it is Cyano probably cause by excess organics in your sand bed. An imbalance between NO3 and PO4 can cause this as well. Giving us your parameters will help.

You could use Chemiclean, but that may only hide the problem rather than fix it.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is Cyano probably cause by excess organics in your sand bed. An imbalance between NO3 and PO4 can cause this as well. Giving us your parameters will help.

You could use Chemiclean, but that may only hide the problem rather than fix it.
Exactly this but said wayyy better then I could of lol

Back