Cyano in no mans land??

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I am not concerned about the cyano. Just thought this was interesting.

So I thought I beat cyano a few months back but I have noticed two patches that refuse to go away:
IMG_7627.jpeg
IMG_7628.jpeg
I know the pictures aren't great but both patches are on the defeated bits of two corals losing their battles to their neighbor. A freak hair pavona losing to a a purple pavona and a blue pavona losing to a frogspawn (yes I know its weird that a pavona is losing any coral fight :face-with-tears-of-joy: ). These are my only coral battles so it seems weird that its also the only places where I have cyano. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is opportunistic, that spot probably doesn't get any CUC traffic because of the ongoing war plus the coral already killed any competitors. It's just free real estate for the cyano.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is opportunistic, that spot probably doesn't get any CUC traffic because of the ongoing war plus the coral already killed any competitors. It's just free real estate for the cyano.
That does make sense
Thanks!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing your po4 and No3are out of balance.
When I get it it’s in the Chaeto where flow is low and it can grow without being blown away and no CUC gets it.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did that section ever have coral on it, and died from stinging? if a small section of the coral dies, its ripe for algae and/or cyano. IDK, just a possibility to throw out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
did that section ever have coral on it, and died from stinging? if a small section of the coral dies, its ripe for algae and/or cyano. IDK, just a possibility to throw out
Blow the area loose with a turkey baster and try to siphon area with turkey baster. Cerith, and margarita snails should be able to sneak into this area and get rid of it

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing your po4 and No3are out of balance.
When I get it it’s in the Chaeto where flow is low and it can grow without being blown away and no CUC gets it.
It was but that’s how I solved the cyano. On the bacto balance diet now.
yep that’s it. It’s only growing where the Pavona has been killed.
It's probably no flow area. Check out @sunnythread on extreme water clarity and cyano removal.
I’m not concerned. I’m pretty sure it’s well defeated. I just googled cyano at coral fight and found nothing so thought I’d make a thread and see if others have had the same.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was but that’s how I solved the cyano. On the bacto balance diet now.

yep that’s it. It’s only growing where the Pavona has been killed.

I’m not concerned. I’m pretty sure it’s well defeated. I just googled cyano at coral fight and found nothing so thought I’d make a thread and see if others have had the same.
Check out his simple water clarity mix thread. I use it once a week. I can't even tell I have water in my tank.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out his simple water clarity mix thread. I use it once a week. I can't even tell I have water in my tank.
Coral snow?
That also worked for me. Maybe should do it more often but again two tiny patches of cyano don’t really concern me. I was just curious why it was only in the war zone.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral snow?
That also worked for me. Maybe should do it more often but again two tiny patches of cyano don’t really concern me. I was just curious why it was only in the war zone.
It's the mix with calcium carbonate and MB7 for water clarity and cyano eradication.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back