Cyano or something else? - Pic attached

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if this is Cyano mainly because it is a very bright and thick red, doesn’t seem stringy or dark red like Cyano usually looks.

The hammer I picked up from somebody local, got scammed on it, and I believe that coral brought whatever tf that is into my tank

I’m also confused because I thought Cyano came from low nutrients? I have the opposite problem in my tank right now. Nitrates are at 30, coming down from 40 after I installed a HOB fuge two weeks ago.

I may make a separate post for this but unrelated, I also have a film on my water surface that I assume is from excess nutrients as well. I have PLENTY of surface agitation and that’s the only advice ppl give for the film issue. Idk

83E009BE-515E-472D-B1FD-1BD9E50B6B85.jpeg 03F00ED8-04E0-454D-8A93-0BF2DB202E43.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if the pictures are bad, I think uploading onto the site made them terrible quality. Was lazy and didn’t feel like turning on white lights but will if it helps ID

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may make a separate post for this but unrelated, I also have a film on my water surface that I assume is from excess nutrients as well. I have PLENTY of surface agitation and that’s the only advice ppl give for the film issue. Idk
Post a pic of the water surface, or a shirt video, if you can. Do you have any powerheads in the tank? A HOB filter, in my humble opinion, is not sufficient for surface agitation.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White light pics

Attachments

• 2AA31124-1258-4839-AEC4-93F54FAC4AD1.jpeg
    2AA31124-1258-4839-AEC4-93F54FAC4AD1.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 08FE3427-BA18-4D25-8CDF-F26E3BE5AF7E.jpeg
    08FE3427-BA18-4D25-8CDF-F26E3BE5AF7E.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 78

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
White light pics
This is cyano. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cyano. Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Thank you for the in-depth response, so I had it mixed up with low/no nutrients causing Cyano? It is excessive nutrients that will? That’s the thing, the tank has been up for 6 months now, I have a very large CuC purchased from reef cleaners, idk what made this all of a sudden bloom. I do a 10% water change weekly, 5 gallons.

Do you think Seachem stability will do for liquid bacteria or something else?

I opted for a HOB fuge over HOB skimmer, should I increase fuge light timing?

This ALL started when I went on vacation for a week. My tank was way over fed. I usually feed 1/5 of a frozen Mysis cube, they were putting whole ones in.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the in-depth response, so I had it mixed up with low/no nutrients causing Cyano? It is excessive nutrients that will? That’s the thing, the tank has been up for 6 months now, I have a very large CuC purchased from reef cleaners, idk what made this all of a sudden bloom. I do a 10% water change weekly, 5 gallons.

Do you think Seachem stability will do for liquid bacteria or something else?

I opted for a HOB fuge over HOB skimmer, should I increase fuge light timing?

This ALL started when I went on vacation for a week. My tank was way over fed. I usually feed 1/5 of a frozen Mysis cube, they were putting whole ones in.
Stability is ok but best for cycling. Lights off will be most important. You will see results overnight.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hard to do lights off with all the coral I have :(
Any specific bottled bac you recommend?
MicroBacter 7 and leave at least whites off

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MicroBacter 7 and leave at least whites off
I'm getting everything in order so sorry to keep bothering, is it safe to use chemi pure with activated carbon in my HOB filter? I always run carbon, but am planning on picking up microbacter and chemipure from the LFS today.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm getting everything in order so sorry to keep bothering, is it safe to use chemi pure with activated carbon in my HOB filter? I always run carbon, but am planning on picking up microbacter and chemipure from the LFS today.
ChemiPure contains high grade carbon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back