Cycle question. It’s been a while.

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia is now 0ppm. And my nitrite is at 1 on the Red Sea test kit, am I ok to add 2 clownfish to the tank today? Or should I wait till the nitrite drops by itself to zero, tank has been cycling for 21 days so far. Nitrite does not seem like it is dropping off to zero.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my ammonia is now 0ppm. And my nitrite is at 1 on the Red Sea test kit, am I ok to add 2 clownfish to the tank today? Or should I wait till the nitrite drops by itself to zero, tank has been cycling for 21 days so far. Nitrite does not seem like it is dropping off to zero.
The most cautious of people will say to wait. But once you start registering nitrAte, you know the tank has cycled and you can start adding a bioload of fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and crew point out that you can't measure nitrate this early accurately

So you're basing your cycle on the wrong params and from old cycling advice

Here's new rules:
Going off that thread, was your cycle complete twelve days ago? :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia control is all that matters in updated cycling, and you have great ammonia control. I'm surprised we're not all toiling over a reading of .25 as the stuck cycle claim, in fact I'm amazed. You have a zero reading for ammonia on api? Check for nearby wormholes

Not from the sandbed but wormholes of space and time continuum

OP
OP
turtlewax2020

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and crew point out that you can't measure nitrate this early accurately

So you're basing your cycle on the wrong params and from old cycling advice

Here's new rules:
Going off that thread, was your cycle complete twelve days ago? :)
Who is randy and crew? I’ve watched my ammonia spike and go back down to zero. I’ve watched my nitrites and nitrates rise and now my nitrite and nitrate do not seem to be doing anywhere. I have been testing every day for the first 2 weeks and now every other day for the past week.

OP
OP
turtlewax2020

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia control is all that matters in updated cycling, and you have great ammonia control. I'm surprised we're not all toiling over a reading of .25 as the stuck cycle claim, in fact I'm amazed. You have a zero reading for ammonia on api? Check for nearby wormholes

Not from the sandbed but wormholes of space and time continuum
I do not use an api test kit. I use Red Sea and Hanna.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use an api test kit. I use Red Sea and Hanna.
If you’ve got nitrite, then your nitrate most likely will read high. The nitrite interferes with the nitrate test kit. If you want to wait out the nitrite, you can add a form of phosphate (bit of spirulina powder, fish flake, whatever). That said, the nitrite isn’t really toxic in saltwater and you should be ok to add fish.

OP
OP
turtlewax2020

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve got nitrite, then your nitrate most likely will read high. The nitrite interferes with the nitrate test kit. If you want to wait out the nitrite, you can add a form of phosphate (bit of spirulina powder, fish flake, whatever). That said, the nitrite isn’t really toxic in saltwater and you should be ok to add fish.
Yes this is exactly what I have. I thought that the 2 interfered with eachother. I just wanted the exact answer you gave me and just like a simple answer on what to do.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple answer: you were done about two weeks ago. before you add fish, select a disease protocol.

I told this to someone two weeks ago, they added fish with no protocol. one of their clowns is dying and the thread is running as a stuck cycle cause today (everyone debating the .25 api) when in fact they just simply skipped the next clearly described step.

your tank can carry fish two weeks ago, or on day one, bottle bac is this good.

before you add fish now, well after cycling has completed, select a fish disease plan and prep from the stickies in the fish disease forum.

if you choose not to, specifically don't look for the cycle to be the problem if one of the unprepped fish dies/pet store fish are notorious nowadays for this/reason for the advice.

disease is different nowadays, it wasn't like this in 2010. a change has taken place, disease preps are required. try and skirt them if you like :) but it wont work. by December... some fish loss would be expected from no prep stocks

that's the trend. within eight months of setup. see the fish disease forum/all the help posts, scan the ages of the tanks asking for crypto brook and uro assistance.

The single most important takeaway you can gain from updated cycling science was that ammonia control happened when you poured the bac out of the bottle, no thought nor coaxing was required. all the thought and prep goes into fish disease preps, that's the new rule which runs massive work threads fixing cycles.

OP
OP
turtlewax2020

turtlewax2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to go and drip them for 30 min and they so far seem completely fine. Swimming around the whole tank. Just checked the whole test again and nitrites are dropping back down. So I think I will be ok.

Attachments

• A4F5B761-3F66-4DBC-AEF7-CA4160356B89.jpeg
    A4F5B761-3F66-4DBC-AEF7-CA4160356B89.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 20

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple answer: you were done about two weeks ago. before you add fish, select a disease protocol.

I told this to someone two weeks ago, they added fish with no protocol. one of their clowns is dying and the thread is running as a stuck cycle cause today (everyone debating the .25 api) when in fact they just simply skipped the next clearly described step.

your tank can carry fish two weeks ago, or on day one, bottle bac is this good.

before you add fish now, well after cycling has completed, select a fish disease plan and prep from the stickies in the fish disease forum.

if you choose not to, specifically don't look for the cycle to be the problem if one of the unprepped fish dies/pet store fish are notorious nowadays for this/reason for the advice.

disease is different nowadays, it wasn't like this in 2010. a change has taken place, disease preps are required. try and skirt them if you like :) but it wont work. by December... some fish loss would be expected from no prep stocks

that's the trend. within eight months of setup. see the fish disease forum/all the help posts, scan the ages of the tanks asking for crypto brook and uro assistance.

The single most important takeaway you can gain from updated cycling science was that ammonia control happened when you poured the bac out of the bottle, no thought nor coaxing was required. all the thought and prep goes into fish disease preps, that's the new rule which runs massive work
100% accurate

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back