Cycling an Aquarium

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to mix live and dry rock? Starting a new tank fresh should I put those in at the same time?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to mix live and dry rock? Starting a new tank fresh should I put those in at the same time?
It can be a great way to do it if done correctly. Are you looking at adding fully cured live rock?

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's what it is looking on http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=393 is what I'm calling live rock? Unless somebody recommends a better place to buy I would rather buy per lb instead of big bulk.

If that is what you are looking at, I would recommend going with all dry rock and dumping a big bottle of Biospira or other bacteria product in your tank. For the most part, that is all you are getting with the manufactured live rock.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need you help. I have been heavily researching my first build for 3 months now. I have bought all I need to start when the hammer comes down. I get a call from corporate requesting I relocate to manage a new store. This will be happening next month. As a result my tank is on hold. I can deal with that. I get a facebook message that I won a raffle and the prize is a selection of acans. First thing I have ever won and yes it is legit. I have 2 choices. First choice is to tell them to give the corals to someone else. Second choice which I like better is to get my QT, a 20 gallon tank cycled to home the coral until the big tank is ready. I have cycled live rock in transit and I should have it by Friday. Can I have this tank ready for coral in a month, which is the anticipated time frame for the delivery of the acans. HELP. Advice? Thanks

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need you help. I have been heavily researching my first build for 3 months now. I have bought all I need to start when the hammer comes down. I get a call from corporate requesting I relocate to manage a new store. This will be happening next month. As a result my tank is on hold. I can deal with that. I get a facebook message that I won a raffle and the prize is a selection of acans. First thing I have ever won and yes it is legit. I have 2 choices. First choice is to tell them to give the corals to someone else. Second choice which I like better is to get my QT, a 20 gallon tank cycled to home the coral until the big tank is ready. I have cycled live rock in transit and I should have it by Friday. Can I have this tank ready for coral in a month, which is the anticipated time frame for the delivery of the acans. HELP. Advice? Thanks
I've never had Acans but my understanding is that they are pretty hardy. If the rock is pre-cycled I think you would have a shot at keeping them alive while you set up the new system.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had Acans but my understanding is that they are pretty hardy. If the rock is pre-cycled I think you would have a shot at keeping them alive while you set up the new system.
I understand that patience is key, but this is an unusual circumstance. Is there a way to expedite the cycle or do yiou think a month is enough time for a 20 gallon and do you have any recondmendations.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that patience is key, but this is an unusual circumstance. Is there a way to expedite the cycle or do yiou think a month is enough time for a 20 gallon and do you have any recondmendations.
Your problem isn't going to be the nitrogen cycle. The stability of the new rock will be key. Is it going to leach phosphates? Will it cause pH issues? When it comes to coral only, the ability to convert ammonia to nitrate doesn't matter much. Really, I think you will be fine. Just set it up when the rock comes in, and practice keeping things stable. Test Alk and Calc daily for awhile to make sure you understand exactly what your tank is doing.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem isn't going to be the nitrogen cycle. The stability of the new rock will be key. Is it going to leach phosphates? Will it cause pH issues? When it comes to coral only, the ability to convert ammonia to nitrate doesn't matter much. Really, I think you will be fine. Just set it up when the rock comes in, and practice keeping things stable. Test Alk and Calc daily for awhile to make sure you understand exactly what your tank is doing.
Will do. Thanks for the support.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Thanks for the support.
No problem, although this isn't my specialty. I recommend creating a new thread in the LPS coral section where I expect you will get higher quality advice and/or opinions.

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can avoid a long/harsh cycle by using live sand, live rock from an lfs that is close by to limit die off and a chromi to start with If anything, you may have light cycle but the acans will be fine.

The key here is to get good established live rock and sand.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can avoid a long/harsh cycle by using live sand, live rock from an lfs that is close by to limit die off and a chromi to start with If anything, you may have light cycle but the acans will be fine.

The key here is to get good established live rock and sand.
Good. I can make that happen. Thank you.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take tank water with me?
If the rock is covered in life, you should bring tank water. If it is just sitting in a tub growing bacteria then just keep it damp. If you think it may dry out before you get it home, play it safe and use tank water in a bucket.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock is covered in life, you should bring tank water. If it is just sitting in a tub growing bacteria then just keep it damp. If you think it may dry out before you get it home, play it safe and use tank water in a bucket.
Super. I have a plan now.

Joseph.lovato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question will fishless cycling cause my ph to be low one day it was 8.4 then a day later it was 7.6 is that OK or normal.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question will fishless cycling cause my ph to be low one day it was 8.4 then a day later it was 7.6 is that OK or normal.
pH is impacted by 2 main factors. Alkalinity and the dissolved CO2 content of the tank water. A fishless cycle can be done without impacting either of those. There are products used in cycling that will cause changes in alkalinity and/or CO2 in your system.
If you had coral in your tank, I would tell you that kind of pH drop is not a good thing. You can grow coral at 8.4 or at 7.6 but coral like the pH to be stable. During a fishless cycle the pH isn't going to impact much of anything. I wouldn't even bother testing it other than for practice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back