Cycling an Aquarium

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you had fish in your system. Yes, feed lightly and add keep adding the bacteria. Unless started with live rock I prefer not to add fish until after the cycle is complete.

And no, an airstone shouldn't hurt.

Ok thanks for the advice :) will do

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice :) will do

I just bought 10lbs of dry rock :) just came in.... i will wash it with RODI water and put it in the tank and some in the sump and will add some live bacteria :)

072308c13487f86d13f64cb130b90225.jpg

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 10lbs of dry rock :) just came in.... i will wash it with RODI water and put it in the tank and some in the sump and will add some live bacteria :)

072308c13487f86d13f64cb130b90225.jpg

Hows this look:

5168993c44698a38a537777119d66b32.jpg

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b96850c0c08d894204aac626e96e1cd1.jpg

Now to put pipe tubing for more hiding spots... and to setup my quarantine tank :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a noob tank... ill stock more dry rock little by little and make it looks awesome with rock decorations you will see
Don't forget to save space for the coral to grow into!

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to save space for the coral to grow into!

Good call.. i just ordered me a nice dry rock tower shaped rock piece... setting up my other tank to put fish there before my main tank :)

mikus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in the process of cycling my first tank. Its a 120dis w/ 55gal sump. I began cycle 9 days ago after placing my dry rock aqua scape in the dis and more in the fuge (approx. 120lbs total)… dropping in a shrimp and began seeding with auqavitro seed. My skimmer (rsk 300) went crazy for the first two days just overflowing with liquid foam. I spent quite a bit of time with the ATO off, letting the skimmer waste drain into a bucket, and topping off with fresh saltwater (also raised my skimmer elevation so water level was right at the bubble diffuser, about 3 inches) My local fish store guy said the excess skimming was prob from the auqauvitro Bond I used for the aqua scape. After the 2nd day, skimming became manageable at the raised elevation so I let it run it coarse for the next 5 days. As of 2 days ago, shrimp is gone (it was marble size), ammonia - nitrite - nitrates all tested zero and water is still very close to crystal clear. I shut the skimmer down, added another larger piece of shrimp along with a bottle of Dr. Tims one and only. Today, ammonia tested about .1ppm and still zero for nitrite/nitrate but water is a little cloudy. Am I on the right track?? first time cycling a tank and am very anxious of the process...Just want to make sure I am going about it properly and what I need to look for. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also in the process of cycling my first tank. Its a 120dis w/ 55gal sump. I began cycle 9 days ago after placing my dry rock aqua scape in the dis and more in the fuge (approx. 120lbs total)… dropping in a shrimp and began seeding with auqavitro seed. My skimmer (rsk 300) went crazy for the first two days just overflowing with liquid foam. I spent quite a bit of time with the ATO off, letting the skimmer waste drain into a bucket, and topping off with fresh saltwater (also raised my skimmer elevation so water level was right at the bubble diffuser, about 3 inches) My local fish store guy said the excess skimming was prob from the auqauvitro Bond I used for the aqua scape. After the 2nd day, skimming became manageable at the raised elevation so I let it run it coarse for the next 5 days. As of 2 days ago, shrimp is gone (it was marble size), ammonia - nitrite - nitrates all tested zero and water is still very close to crystal clear. I shut the skimmer down, added another larger piece of shrimp along with a bottle of Dr. Tims one and only. Today, ammonia tested about .1ppm and still zero for nitrite/nitrate but water is a little cloudy. Am I on the right track?? first time cycling a tank and am very anxious of the process...Just want to make sure I am going about it properly and what I need to look for. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!!
Yup, the bonding agents are known for making skimmers go nuts.
My guess is that it was a very small piece of shrimp for a tank your size when combined with the heavy skimming. I normally don't mind running the skimmer while cycling but only if it operates normally.

The only thing I would have done differently is to have gotten the skimmer running well before adding the shrimp. If your goal is to add livestock in the near future I would keep the skimmer running while the tank cycles. It may slow down the cycle but I feel that is better than the stability issues overskimming can cause with livestock in the tank. It could take as long as a few weeks for the bonding agent to fully cure.

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Use:
54353d2a25e1be179da5ff2bb27627db.jpg

I recommend bio-spira on amazon if you are in a rush like i was.... i added a damsel first, Hardy fish to test then 2-3 days later added 2 clown fishes.... so please use this or your stuff will keep dying on you. Since your tank is completely new..then dont add anymore fish. Just do like one at a time every 1 month or so and add more live bacteria...

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use:
54353d2a25e1be179da5ff2bb27627db.jpg

I recommend bio-spira on amazon if you are in a rush like i was.... i added a damsel first, Hardy fish to test then 2-3 days later added 2 clown fishes.... so please use this or your stuff will keep dying on you. Since your tank is completely new..then dont add anymore fish. Just do like one at a time every 1 month or so and add more live bacteria...

The stablity i had from before laying around... but i highly recommend bio-spira and yes you can add fish the 1st day atleast one. But one hardy like a damsel and if you dont want him after one month get rid of him lol give him away back to fish store.. i had to do that when i moved states.

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73e4fe4a4c572c73137d99bf8bbdb675.jpg

I think i got 0.25 ppm ammonia in my tank... should
I add more live bacteria?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73e4fe4a4c572c73137d99bf8bbdb675.jpg

I think i got 0.25 ppm ammonia in my tank... should
I add more live bacteria?
I'm more interested in your Nitrate test than ammonia.
With an API test it is common for them to read 0.25ppm even with no measurable ammonia in the tank. Seems to be a reaction with something else in the water.

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in your Nitrate test than ammonia.
With an API test it is common for them to read 0.25ppm even with no measurable ammonia in the tank. Seems to be a reaction with something else in the water.

Ah ok nice here is a better pic of ammonia and i also did nitrate here is a pic of that as well lol

a322b8f1db86988b0bc08d83a6588158.jpg

f9804b384f4e9f3ff80de853ac37a63c.jpg

They think imma give them food man i just fed em... greedy fishes lol

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is light yellow = 0 still

Nitrite test coming in now in 5 mins

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok nice here is a better pic of ammonia and i also did nitrate here is a pic of that as well lol

a322b8f1db86988b0bc08d83a6588158.jpg

f9804b384f4e9f3ff80de853ac37a63c.jpg

They think imma give them food man i just fed em... greedy fishes lol
Well, all I can say is that I wouldn't have put fish in that aquarium yet. Just continue to monitor ammonia regularly, feed lightly, and be ready to do a large water change if needed.

reyc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, all I can say is that I wouldn't have put fish in that aquarium yet. Just continue to monitor ammonia regularly, feed lightly, and be ready to do a large water change if needed.

Someone told me no water change at all? Just let it be?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back