Cycling and practicing the right PPM

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4578.jpg
You should pick up some salifert kits :)

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low presence of ammonia and presence of nitrite (non-toxic) shows that chemically your tank is non-toxic. The Nitrate reading will likely fall in 1-2 days as its a false positive from the Nitrite which is cross read by Nitrate test kit. As Nitrates rise again, a water change can level you back to good levels (about 5 ppm)

I would remove about a half gallon of salt water and replace it with RODI to dilute salinity. Remove the shrimp and start shopping for your clean up crew. Congrats, you are cycled!

OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low presence of ammonia and presence of nitrite (non-toxic) shows that chemically your tank is non-toxic. The Nitrate reading will likely fall in 1-2 days as its a false positive from the Nitrite which is cross read by Nitrate test kit. As Nitrates rise again, a water change can level you back to good levels (about 5 ppm)

I would remove about a half gallon of salt water and replace it with RODI to dilute salinity. Remove the shrimp and start shopping for your clean up crew. Congrats, you are cycled!
Awesome! Well, I just removed the shrimp and I'm going to wait for 48hrs before the 50% water change. Then, probably test again the next day to be sure that everything is matching up and reading correctly. Thank you for your help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back