Cycling Help

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Cell I’m just a little concerned that the level of ammonia is around 2ppm, and never got to the cloudy yellow stage. I know the API test is not the best and plan to upgrade to the Red Sea test soon.

I’d hate for my first fish to be the guinea pig, if I’m indeed cycled what percentage water change should I do before adding a fish?

Thanks guys!

I guess I missed this measurement, I was looking at your spreadsheet that did not have this one logged yet. I'm assuming the jump in ammonia correlates to you dosing it?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok your last ammonia test is your new baseline. Test 24 hours after that dose and if ammonia dropped your cycle is complete. That you already saw this happen once is pretty telling.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you do not have enough bacteria yet.

I know API kits are touted badly.
But that said I have never come across one that falsely reads a level of 2.0.
0 to 1.0 false readings all day long.

At this point I would agree to adding additional bacteria.
Do not under any circumstance add more ammonia.
And do not add any livestock. Or your child will witness fish or invert death.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you do not have enough bacteria yet.

I know API kits are touted badly.
But that said I have never come across one that falsely reads a level of 2.0.
0 to 1.0 false readings all day long.

At this point I would agree to adding additional bacteria.
Do not under any circumstance add more ammonia.
And do not add any livestock. Or your child will witness fish or invert death.
Thank you all, I went out and got another bottle of live nitrifying bacteria made by Instant Ocean and dumped the whole bottle (it was meant to treat a 30g tank instantly) but I have a 55g, so hopefully this will give them their second wind.

ill actually await these next 18-24 hours and hopefully the ammonia will be dropping.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet it's cycled. Nitrate with no nitrite. 0.25 ammonia on API is well known false positive. I would have liked to see a nitrite reading in the first couple days but ammonia went down and nitrate went up so it was there at some point.

Isn't that kit designed to cycle a tank in like 1 week? Nitrfying bac + ammonia source?

This.

I have cycled a tank just by putting Rock in saltwater for a few weeks and adding nothing but ammonia after a few days. Just time in water. API ammonia tests are the source of countless headaches. If you have Nitrate you are cycled IMO.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a full 24 to 48 hours.

Even with bacteria overload everything needs time to work.
The nitrites need to grow and consume the ammonia and then convert it to nitrate.
You need to allow some time for this to occur.
If I saw you had Nitrate in the 20-30s I would advise differently.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

I have cycled a tank just by putting Rock in saltwater for a few weeks and adding nothing but ammonia after a few days. Just time in water. API ammonia tests are the source of countless headaches. If you have Nitrate you are cycled IMO.

I guess to that, my question would be if I’m cycled how come the ammonia levels are still fairly high? I thought once the cycle was complete the Ammonia would be removed.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think your ammonia level is accurate. I think the API kit is unreliable for ammonia. But wait a day or 2 and test again. Don’t add anything else. Don’t add ammonia or anything. Just let the water sit. Many times in reefing it’s what you don’t do that helps. Then retest. Use a salifert kit if possible.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to that, my question would be if I’m cycled how come the ammonia levels are still fairly high? I thought once the cycle was complete the Ammonia would be removed.

Exactly. With ammonia as high as it is your Nitrate will be in the 20-30 range.
From your log and pictures your highest nitrate result was maybe a 7.
So no IMO your tank is not cycled.
I know every tank is unique but there is a corelation of percentages.
A 7 on the nitrate scale tells me more about where your at.

I agree with Tiki at this point just wait a few days.
Dont add anything, just breath and wait a couple more days

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the idea temp for a reef tank is in the upper 70s, but considering bacteria grows quicker in warmer temperatures, should I maybe increase the temperature to help the bacteria reproduce? Maybe low 80s? Or did I miss a few classes in biology in high school

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha ha good question.
The answer is stability. You want your tank stable and the tank at this point should be set up as you intend to run it.
Yes your tank temp should be as close to a stable 78 degrees.
With a salinity of 1.026.
If this is your plan then you want the bacteria to flourish in this environment.

OP
OP
Piscean_Introvert

Piscean_Introvert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha ha good question.
The answer is stability. You want your tank stable and the tank at this point should be set up as you intend to run it.
Yes your tank temp should be as close to a stable 78 degrees.
With a salinity of 1.026.
If this is your plan then you want the bacteria to flourish in this environment.

Ahh that makes sense, thanks!

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t mess with it. 80s if fine for this bacteria though. My reef goes Fromm 77.3 to 79.9 daily and even more of a swing on occasion. But just keep it where it is. It won’t really matter. Just don’t touch for a day. Retest. But I still think your ammonia is wrong. It’s moot at this point because the conclusions is the same. No touching the future reef for a day. It’s a good exercise in reef discipline :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be correct
Folks, his initial ammonia dose was processed down to 0.25 in the first couple days. He said he manually spiked ammonia again to get to the current 2.0 reading. The ammonia was high because he dosed it. Now we just have to see if it will process again in 24 hrs. I think the timeline got a bit fuzzy at the end here. An updated spreadsheet with the most recent levels and the days you dosed ammonia would help clear things up I think.

cool2burn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a whole lot of work To accomplish the same thing that better products can already do. I would go get 2 big bottles of bio spira or Tim's. You'll be set in 2 weeks. Can add fish in 1. My last tank the 130D Red sea Max. Using Marco Rocks I cycled in a week with Bio Spira Live Sand and an initial load of imagitarium filtered Ocean Water

Back