Cycling my tank

becs_nano_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling my tank!
Only on day 3!
I used Dr Tim’s one and only and 2 clowns who are very happy.
Live sand and dry rock
I feed once a day and dose microbacter 7 and prime daily.

Ammonia 1.5
Nitrite 0.1-0.25
Nitrate 5

Is it going in the right direction?

FE4BA842-F545-4852-AC3E-7FEB97C40FAA.jpeg C3F5564C-FA54-4C7F-A3A4-2380C49DEB1C.jpeg

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby. I started in Jan this year and it took 6 weeks for my cycle. Obviously every tank is different. I would say your ammonia is a bit high? What test kit you using?

OP
OP
B

becs_nano_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is key in this hobby. I started in Jan this year and it took 6 weeks for my cycle. Obviously every tank is different. I would say your ammonia is a bit high? What test kit you using?
Yes I understand it’s going to take time.
Im using salifert tests. It’s gone up slightly since yesterday.

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand it’s going to take time.
Im using salifert tests. It’s gone up slightly since yesterday.
I would monitior and test alot at this point. You will have a spike in ammonia as part of your cycle. Mine got up quite high before coming back down to levels that would be deadly to fish. I would be looking at some water changes at this reading.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell about the rock history

why are half the rocks purple and half white, where did the purple ones come from

Nanoreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would monitior and test alot at this point. You will have a spike in ammonia as part of your cycle. Mine got up quite high before coming back down to levels that would be deadly to fish. I would be looking at some water changes at this reading.
I was told a water change during a cycle will stop or halt the cycle and will jeopardise it

OP
OP
B

becs_nano_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told water changes stop the cycle and causes it to take a lot longer

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to fix

not true about the water changes harming the cycle

the cloud is nearly certainly non rinsed sand clouding harmless

stop adding prime going forward its not needed, chemists here discovered it’s not actually doing anything it’s a sales ploy, don’t use it in freshwater or saltwater, throw it out

just do water changes alone to slowly work the clouding out and when you pour back in, have a super clean bowl someone is holding just below the water line to deflect the pour water outwards so it doesn’t re cloud the sand over and over

no more additives at all are needed and are unhelpful / adding more bac to the water is not helpful it’s oxygen competition / water changes only

your clowns are not hurt agreed, they act normal because that’s how fish in cycle always go with dr tims just allow it all to seat in with simple water changes. Easy cycle here

your dosed bacteria will stick to the rocks and sand by day ten easily

give one more dose of dr tims then that’s enough / just water changes here on out

quit testing for ammonia it doesn’t matter what it reads, prime dosed messes up the test you can’t know the level now till its all changed out in increments

no more testing for ammonia is helpful for the rest of the tanks life at this point, it will self manage just fine even after the prime is worked out via water changes

Last edited:

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use energy on light, the rock will not bloom and nitro bacs do not need it - algae do :)

Do the water changes as @brandon429 advices, do not panic. It will be all sound, just takes time.
No point in testing water all the time, once a week does the trick if you really want to play chemist.

Check my unusual method Brandon helped me with HERE.

You can also try to read about various 'ugly stages' knowing it would give you more than testing in my opinion :)

Good Luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back