Cycling Parameters, high Nitrites

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey, I am looking for some input on the cycling process of my 35G AIO cube.

Some background, I dosed 2ppm QuikCycl ammonia to the tank and followed the instructions on MicroBacter start xlm. I am using an API test kit for everything as well as an additional Salifert ammonia test kit

April 7nd
Ammonia 2ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0

April 11th
Ammonia 1ppm, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 20ppm

April 12th
Ammonia 0.5ppm, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 50ppm

April 13th
Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 50ppm

April 14th
Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 5ppm, Nitrate 50ppm

I am planning on a water change to lower the Nitrate to a more desirable 20ppm.

I have read some articles on here stating that Nitrite does not matter in a marine aquarium due to chlorides out competing them in saltwater. If this is the case does this mean my tank display is cycled and ready for my quarantined clownfish? Can I add a small clean up crew?

If not what should be my next course of action?

Thank you!

First Choice

Garf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Some background, I dosed 2ppm QuikCycl ammonia to the tank and followed the instructions on MicroBacter start xlm. I am using an API test kit for everything as well as an additional Salifert ammonia test kit

April 7nd

April 11th

April 12th

April 13th

April 14th

I have read some articles on here stating that Nitrite does not matter in a marine aquarium due to chlorides out competing them in saltwater. If this is the case does this mean my tank display is cycled and ready for my quarantined clownfish? Can I add a small clean up crew?

Thank you!
Sounds good. You got a pic :)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

April 7nd

April 11th

April 12th

April 13th

April 14th

Thank you!
Wow, your results are beautiful. Both the way ammonia decreases at a pretty freaking consistent rate. And beautifully, the conversion of 2ppm ammonia to 5ppm is around what you'd expect based on the molecular weights of ammonia and nitrite. If my math checks out.

I mean.
1618427286330.png

I mean look at this. LOOK AT THIS. XD

Anyways, I digress. So it looks like your ammonia oxidation rate is 0.286 (to 3 s.f.) per day, which is not bad.

Personally, I prefer that ammonia oxidation rate is 2ppm a day. And that ammonia is oxidized completely to nitrate each day. So to me, it is not cycled. I would dose 2ppm each time ammonia and nitrite drops to 0, until ammonia and nitrite reads 0 within 24 hours of dosing 2ppm ammonia.

But it is not compulsory. You can start now, just that you may have to start slow, add a few fish at a time. The advantage of making sure 2ppm of ammonia is fully oxidized to nitrate each day is that you are more than able to fully stock your tank right away, at least where ammonia and nitrite is concerned.

Maxout
OP
K

Kruss7

View Badges
Reaction score
Wow, your results are beautiful. Both the way ammonia decreases at a pretty freaking consistent rate. And beautifully, the conversion of 2ppm ammonia to 5ppm is around what you'd expect based on the molecular weights of ammonia and nitrite. If my math checks out.

I mean.
1618427286330.png

I mean look at this. LOOK AT THIS. XD

Anyways, I digress. So it looks like your ammonia oxidation rate is 0.286 (to 3 s.f.) per day, which is not bad.

Personally, I prefer that ammonia oxidation rate is 2ppm a day. And that ammonia is oxidized completely to nitrate each day. So to me, it is not cycled. I would dose 2ppm each time ammonia and nitrite drops to 0, until ammonia and nitrite reads 0 within 24 hours of dosing 2ppm ammonia.

But it is not compulsory. You can start now, just that you may have to start slow, add a few fish at a time. The advantage of making sure 2ppm of ammonia is fully oxidized to nitrate each day is that you are more than able to fully stock your tank right away, at least where ammonia and nitrite is concerned.
Wow, it really did have an amazing decrease.

Thank you, I’ll see if I can get the ammonia oxidation rate up!

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 275 62.1%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 109 24.6%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.8%