brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont have to peruse all the pages only the first page w do

nobody wants to read forty pages to get a snippet

the transport home, and the holding container of your live rock, that's the key.

easy points to discern.

we describe settings that you can firmly know if your bacteria are alive, without any testing.

only page one is enough for you to see similar rocks that were stored, then transported to a skip cycle destination. how'd we pull it off? accepting no ammonia test data.

don't want it, for obvious reasons

we want the pics instead/
the water clarity vs cloud

the smell: normal vs smells like two dead possums

nothing but normal looking rocks, wheres the source of the claimed die off? always within.

(100% of api free ammonia threads claim harmed bacteria, and nothing visual shows for the tank, its internal rot then...see the pattern)

my uncle always had more quarters> endless supply for the trick

the test is suspect here.

that step alone-moving the rocks home-
did you harm the rocks intentionally /
if not, then they all transferred that's the sole thesis of the whole thread.

if you moved home legit group b rock then do a water change and add life, and it lives because

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s ok and no harm either, these tests over report is what we think, it’d be pegged to the hilt if this was curing rock + the requisite visual markers. Old cycling science didn’t allow for requisite visual markers in true nh3 failure-to-control events.

i deem this tank cycled just like the others from that thread.

last time I tried to guess someone’s cycle status off a parameter set only, they surprised me by stating they had no rocks or sand

Id met the one reefer on earth that was going to cycle the empty tank, then add dry rocks after, then add fish.

thank you for having a normal skip cycle reef, what you did is literally what macna does annually back when we were allowed to meet

they get 450 reefs all started on time like this.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your rocks come home from a pet store purchase, if so with your permission I’d make your thread the very first reference thread in my cycling post above, because I got lucky heh

also regarding test kits: there’s a way to make that one work if you want, it’s from Jacks 100% water change thread. A three point ammonia read vs a single point one.

you’d post the current ammonia pic

then we add in a known amount of ammonia per gallon that creates guaranteed 1 ppm

then we see if your test is even valid at that step, can it report known 1 ppm accurately...post its second pic for the change

then a third pic in 24 hours, see if the color moves back to pic 1

*this involves you buying ammonia and dosing it and doing a 100% water change to verify something we already verify off predictions and pics for thirty pages. we only need to know if a pet store sold you already cycled rock to know if you are done, in fact skip cycled ready within five mins after you got home with the rock

I see nothing to dieoff whatsoever

macna and the sellers can do it, and now that their cycling info has been wikileaked, so can we

the specific leak is that it’s very convenient for sellers and buyers to use two different meters regarding cycle completion. The gradient causes a money flow. We buy things because we are trained to doubt bacteria and rely on tests for nh3 as infallible.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reread to see it was shipped, with stress.

well it’s now group b rock from that thread. You’d have pegged ammonia otherwise
And cloud and stink and castings littered and frothy top water and four more indicators

since It’s not possible for any set of known active filter rocks to hold exactly at .25 it’s not possible here either. Not much was there to cure. You dont have rotted mass laying around the tank.

wet means your bacteria lived, bone dry might kill them but wet and waiting inspection cannot kill filter bacteria that’s a walk in the park.

im sure you’re curing is done, your test isn’t showing different than all the .25 threads google can show us. False stalled cycle, love this thread. Great test for updated cycle science.

a big fat margarita snail won’t last ten hours if your ammonia is above .05

so buy one put it in after a decent water change. If it dies I’ll paypal you for the snail plus take the public flog for offing a slug with bad science.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My confidence only extends to gastropoda

sighs of relief are heard in the distance :) these are rather rogue calls to be making

But if a big snail lives two days, rock n roll time

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im truly happy to see it and invest prior work in the thread. I want to test all claims made for any outliers is why

we think new cycling science allows for different start dates than prior rules, that's the main test at hand and without a seneye machine nothing will beat the sensitivity of a snail and its worth the science because people are going to/have been basing start dates for fish use so to pre-verify accuracy with a snail is prudent

after all, an eventual start date comes no matter whose meter we're using so adding life is always the initial test. In this specific case I think the predictable skip cycle happened only bc this wasn't all beardy like the uncured rock pictured on our page one

it was relatively and ideally pre cured, mostly coralline. worthy test.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acclimate him slow, carefully, we don't want adaptation stress to mask a legit cycle issue

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will do thanks for youre help ill keep you updated on this post if the snail makes it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
final little adjust for the test reading:

as I read from friends in the chemistry forum, salifert is included in the test kits that measure total ammonia nitrogen, and that's not what harms a reef tank.

its only the nh3 portion of TAN that matters, to us. Planted tanks are polar opposite.

if your salifert reading says .25 then its merely a fraction of that as nh3

per this search return snippet:
Testing For Ammonia found in: Red Sea Ammonia Test Kit, Salifert Ammonia Aquarium ... Features Measures total and free ammonia down to less than 0.05 mg/L ... total ammonia or for each 0.85 mg/L of measured total ammonia-nitrogen

it means your reported testing is in spec.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny question but a true real indicator: how does that water smell if you get right up close. slightest bit of ammonia, you'll detect.

I bet it does not stink

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no does not smell atall you get a whiff of a earthy smell but its only a whiff

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's my reef too exactly that. see its these non test factors that we all universally can see and detect by smell, we think that's reliable. not as one individual clue, but a series

about to find out :)

we have legit isolated the issue down to literally the test kit and no other discernible factor affecting your start date. the snail has the best chance in this reef he'll ever see in any reef.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a pellet food that sinks just one will do. the live rock if it came from the ocean will undoubtedly have fine grazables we cannot see and he will detect and rasp off

that rock is snail feed as it sits. tiny crustaceans are on it, tiny algae bits, some bacteria sloughed up in a corner, budding algae, never ends. you bought good stuff

your tank is better insulated against getting dinos than any reef starting here today, due to these inclusions.

here's how your rock survived what was sure to fell it by old standards: live rock has always been tougher than the hobby allows, they just needed context for misreads. blanks were filled in accordingly.

your three days in waiting even if opened did provide aeration to respirating animals, better than being sealed in a bag the whole time. apparently it wasn't enough to dry out

dna exists to exploit luck in exactly this way.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave paying for shipping on a small order = $ do you have a fellow reefer or fish store near by or a place to collect a natural snail as the lucky one

if you have ammonium chloride avail, using that in the movement test is better than having to order the test snail alone. its literally just adding some test ammonia right into the tank, a known exact amount from an easy calculator, and then seeing if the test kit can actually show a small increase without spiking clear to the sky

if it can, then it will also move back down to the .25 level you can already see, overnite.

this movement means cycled, not the resulting final resting measure, we think that's overreported and TAN-inclusive anyway. wanted to list that nobody has to ever guess in cycling.

we have animal-free ways to proof any rock you want.

but this one passes all the updated tests, so its slugtime or if needed we can easily run an ammonia test to see. results fast. overnite.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back