Cycling

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On day 3 of fishless cycle with brightwell fishless cycle kit. Still have ammonia and no nitrite...any thoughts? Am I being to anxious?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. Still long way to go.
I know its gonna take awhile but instuctions say bacteria could start consuming ammonia quickly and might not show on test so was just curious what other more experienced ppl think

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering if temperature during shipping affected the bacteria

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still detecting ammonia. So thats good.
I am not aware of the brightwell stuff but as long it wasnt super hot, that bottle should be ok.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nitrites after 5 days. It’s been 2 weeks and I have no ammonia but plenty of nitrites and a little dusty brown algae. It’s taking longer than I thought. I don’t mind waiting but my wife is a different story.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while. I would not worry.
What was ammonia level at thew start and what is it now?
What test kit are you using?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while. I would not worry.
What was ammonia level at thew start and what is it now?
What test kit are you using?

Instructions told me to put it at 2ppm...still at 2ppm
Using api(i know i know, not the best haha)

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cycling API test kits are just fine they get a bad rap because there not super accurate but for cycling there's no reason not to use them You are in a rush 14 to 21 days is an average for a full tank cycle

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had nitrites after 5 days. It’s been 2 weeks and I have no ammonia but plenty of nitrites and a little dusty brown algae. It’s taking longer than I thought. I don’t mind waiting but my wife is a different story.

Is you are seeing a light Brown algae the cycle is probably completed So you need to test for nitrate.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you are seeing a light Brown algae the cycle is probably completed So you need to test for nitrate.
I haven’t tested for nitrates yet. I didn’t think it was safe until nitrites are 0. Is this correct or can I do a water change and start adding livestock?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is in your tank? what equipment is running? how big is your tank? what temperature is it? have you checked nitrates?
if you have a bunch of rock that is helpful to give the bacteria someplace to live, if there is good flow that helps the bacteria find the ammonia if the temperature is toward 80 degrees as opposed to 75 the bacteria grows faster if the nitrite eating bacteria has outpaced the ammonia eating it is possible to miss the nitrite bump. having said all that, i think it is just building the bacteria colony and noticeable changes will start soon

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested for nitrates yet. I didn’t think it was safe until nitrites are 0. Is this correct or can I do a water change and start adding livestock?

What was your peak ammonia?

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is in your tank? what equipment is running? how big is your tank? what temperature is it? have you checked nitrates?
if you have a bunch of rock that is helpful to give the bacteria someplace to live, if there is good flow that helps the bacteria find the ammonia if the temperature is toward 80 degrees as opposed to 75 the bacteria grows faster if the nitrite eating bacteria has outpaced the ammonia eating it is possible to miss the nitrite bump. having said all that, i think it is just building the bacteria colony and noticeable changes will start soon
Waterbox 220.6, marco rock scape with dry sand 78 degrees, skimmer off and socks out...some rubble down in sump as well

OP
OP
Rmorrison23

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic

20201010_175748.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back