Cyphastrea Issue

Thomas Reeferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my 90 gallon reef like two years ago. Kept great care of it until my skimmer took a dump then didn’t keep up with water changes and then finally splashed one of my radions. I was terrible to that tank. My ATO would run dry and I’d turn my return off for like 5 days sometimes not even realizing my wave maker wasn’t working. This cyphastrea got huge during that period of reef hell that I put it through. Anyway, I’ve gotten a new skimmer, got my light replaced, and have been on top of water parameters again for the last couple of months: water changes, supplenting only when necessary and target feeding. Added a yellow tang, pair of black davinci clowns, a Lamarck Angel, and I have a big blue damsel that thinks he runs the tank. Anyway, I supplemented and then changed like 20% of the water later that day and when I did the change I blew some cyano off the rocks and from this cyphastrea with a turkey baster. I didn’t supplement the next day and today I added magnesium which made the polyps come back out a little bit. Then I dosed some calcium only(dkh was around 12.9 and calcium at like 390.) i was just trying to get it back to like 420-450 but since the calcium dose it’s been closed up again and not fluffy like usual. Any ideas? The video is from a few days before the water change

OP
OP
Thomas Reeferson

Thomas Reeferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the video didn’t upload but it was super happy with very fluffy polyps for a long time

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible that the parameters have changed a bit too fast for it's liking.Maybe the Nitrates dropped fast.Maybe the salinity changed along with the water.Or maybe the calcium increased real fast. I would keep up with frequent water testing to get a feel for the tank.This should give you a better idea of the cause in the event that this happens again. . Hopefully it's just a little a mad at you and will open up again shortly. It's a really beautiful piece.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back