Cyphastrea Statues!

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for about six months now, and I've got a solid little tank up and running. One thing I keep seeing are these statues covered in what appear to be Cyphastrea...see below:
Girl.jpg
Skull.jpg

I wanted to ask everyone if they've ever tried it, or know HOW to do it? Are there special techniques or tricks that help it grow better? Or is it simply a matter of gluing a frag onto whatever you want it to encrust upon? Both of those examples pictured above came out so perfect I'd almost have to believe there's more to it. Thanks for any advice!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been in the hobby for about six months now, and I've got a solid little tank up and running. One thing I keep seeing are these statues covered in what appear to be Cyphastrea...see below:
Girl.jpg
Skull.jpg

I wanted to ask everyone if they've ever tried it, or know HOW to do it? Are there special techniques or tricks that help it grow better? Or is it simply a matter of gluing a frag onto whatever you want it to encrust upon? Both of those examples pictured above came out so perfect I'd almost have to believe there's more to it. Thanks for any advice!
Nope just glue it. Cornbred covered a cross with a cyphastrea as well. And my lfs covered a cement football. Cyphastrea will cover shaded areas. Just a matter of glueing!

MyCrayonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually looking around for something for my cyphastrea to cover. I bought one of those skulls but mainly because it was the only thing I could find at the time. Wondering what material is safe and if any LFS/online vendors special in selling something like that, because if so I'd be interested in seeing what they have

MyCrayonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen 2 acouple ornaments online(example: 1.tiki house from Spongebob Squarepants
2.Groot from Gaurdians air bubbler
I'm just more worried about the actual ornaments being bad for the tank in general. Afew of the reviews on just those said the paint came off, which means it's ended up in the tank. Aside from plugs and some ceramic rock dont know of something I could just order that would look interesting but not to tacky like a skull

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back