Damsels?

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a lot of horror stories about damsels and did not want one in my tank. However, they are brightly colored and hard to resist. I did some research and supposedly there are 3 damsels that are much more peaceful than the rest. The one I want is the starck damsel. I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with this fish, and if the claims are true.

I have been changing my fish lineup slightly as I research more. I have a 65 gallon, with 60ish lbs of live rock. I have 200 gallons worth of biological filters (Matrix and bio cubes) plus the standard 3 stage media, since I will be slightly overstocking my tank. I will eventually add soft corals. I currently have a chalk bass and yellow watchman goby, snails and hermits.I plan to add the following (subject to change lol)

1. Royal gramma
2. Black combtooth blenny
3. Leopard OR melanrius wrasse
4. Tomini OR kole tang
5. Flame angel

Will this damsel be a disaster?
20181012_171239.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starki is a stunning fish. Proabbly on the more aggressive end of the chrysiptera damsels, and can get quite large. Had one years ago. It was a good citizen mostly, until it got to about 3" then not quite so well behaved. I don't see them for sale very often now.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of Kupang damsels (Chrysiptera hemicyanea), Talbot's damsels (Chrysiptera talboti), and black-bar Chromis (Chromis retrofasciata) along with other fish, and they are all pretty and get along fine as long as there are enough hiding places.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son got a blue velvet damsel. Despite the bad publicity, he is the sweetest fish in the tank. The female clown and female goby are horrible! Angus is a sweetheart. (Probably until I post this)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 14 year old azure damsel in my tank right now. Plays chase once in a while with the sixline wrasse if they get riled up enough but otherwise I’ve never seen it fight or attack anything ever.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a suggestion, check out a Talbot (a/k/a Talbot Damsel). They can be very colorful— and most people say they do not aggressively defend their territory.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starcki damsel in a red sea Reefer 350 for 2 months now and is a little aggressive but only when he's defending his territory, he's never killed a fish or caused them damage, they are a little big too but nothing majorly unacceptable for size. They are stunning fish, and under the leds at night their purple shimmer comes out and is beautiful !

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a suggestion, check out a Talbot (a/k/a Talbot Damsel). They can be very colorful— and most people say they do not aggressively defend their territory.

Thank you. I looked them up, and the website went more in depth with all the damsels. I think I will go with the azure, because I like the blue coloring. The starki sounds like it might be trouble later.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Royal Gramma, Goby and Leopard might be easily pushed around by an assertive damsel, but the rest should be able to hold their own. My Melanurus is funny, it will let another fish bully it to a point and then the gloves come off and the Mel will relentlessly kick the crap out of said mean fish. I have seen it do this with a bratty clownfish and both a Coral Beauty and Yellow Tang who came into the tank and tried to establish dominance, the wrasse didn't care and took both on at once (even going after the Yellow Tangs' tail scalpel and all), both the Yellow Tang and the Coral Beauty pretty much left it alone after that. The only thing I have seen it overtly aggressive to is my Leopard Wrasse (although that has died back considerably, thankfully).

U

User1

View Badges
I tend to agree with most that if you want damsels then the Chrysiptera is the tree to be in. Starki are more rare or hard to come by (maybe due to season(?)) and demand a higher price. When they come in they go fast. beautiful fish and larger than most Damsels. I think @ca1ore mentioned that they are more aggressive of the Chrysiptera family so probably worth paying attention to his note. He has a zillion other damsels so knows!

I've personally never owned one although I would like a pair. I've tried to order them previously but every time I find them in stock I end up being too late. They go fast regardless of the prices. 20 to 40 US dollar range. So just be aware.

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to agree with most that if you want damsels then the Chrysiptera is the tree to be in. Starki are more rare or hard to come by (maybe due to season(?)) and demand a higher price. When they come in they go fast. beautiful fish and larger than most Damsels. I think @ca1ore mentioned that they are more aggressive of the Chrysiptera family so probably worth paying attention to his note. He has a zillion other damsels so knows!

I've personally never owned one although I would like a pair. I've tried to order them previously but every time I find them in stock I end up being too late. They go fast regardless of the prices. 20 to 40 US dollar range. So just be aware.

I agree with you, and the others who have warned me. I don't mind the price tag, since they are hardy fish and would live a long time but I don't want something that will terrorize my other inhabitants. If I had a larger tank I would risk it, but not in a 65 gal. I might go with the azure and add it last. It will be the smallest fish in the tank, maybe that will help.

Since the starki is out I would like everyone's opinion on a blue chromis. The big 5" one. I've read of people keeping then singly. Will the fish be ok if he was by himself? I really want a vibrant blue in my tank, so I'm trying to narrow down the best candidate.

And on a completely different note, I found this fish during my search but can't find much info at all on it. It's called a Japanese chromis and it is a stunning fish. I probably won't like the price tag though lol
20181014_090210.jpg
20181014_090157.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jholli90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Royal Gramma, Goby and Leopard might be easily pushed around by an assertive damsel, but the rest should be able to hold their own. My Melanurus is funny, it will let another fish bully it to a point and then the gloves come off and the Mel will relentlessly kick the crap out of said mean fish. I have seen it do this with a bratty clownfish and both a Coral Beauty and Yellow Tang who came into the tank and tried to establish dominance, the wrasse didn't care and took both on at once (even going after the Yellow Tangs' tail scalpel and all), both the Yellow Tang and the Coral Beauty pretty much left it alone after that. The only thing I have seen it overtly aggressive to is my Leopard Wrasse (although that has died back considerably, thankfully).

My goby already never comes out and I only have 2 fish in there at the moment, including him. I was worried about the gramma and damsel, and I am leaning away from the damsels for now. Maybe once I get a bigger tank. I would much rather have the other fish in my lineup.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starcki is a cool fish —- if you can find them. I have been one available in months [emoji29]

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back