Dan's Aqua Adventure

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

Thanks for stopping by. I will be adding pictures, videos, and status updates as we progress.

Introduction
I am rejoining the hobby after a long break. I shut down my tanks as I was moving around the world for work. Now that I am settled, I am excited to start something new and explore new technology, move up to corals, move up to a large tank. One note, I am now based in Europe, so do not have the same availability of resources and partners as those based in other areas of the world.

Historical Salt Water Tanks
  1. 1988-1993 - 20G fish only tank
  2. 2001-2004 - 75G fish, inverts, deep sand bed tank
I am looking through my records for pictures of these tanks as well as documentation of the component equipment.

The Plan Tank - 720L / 192G Display with basement Sump & Refugium
Overview
: I am planning on using a RedSea Reefer XXXL 900 with the sump split to the basement. I need to modify the room and basement with piping, flooring, and power to make this build possible.

Current Status: Agreed partner with Aqua Tropica, a local shop specializing in reef tanks. Agreed partner with Wetzel Haustechnik for home changes. We are in the bid / budget process with these partners and subcontractors.

Sections:
Note: nothing is drawn to scale!
  • Room Layout
    • 1596623808214.png
    • 1596624022307.png
  • Display Tank & Lights Plan
    • Sand bottom
    • 2 wavemaker to create flow
    • 4 or 5 pendent lights
  • AquaScape
    • Islands of live rock spread across the 2M length to create unique habitat space and territory for more aggressive fish.
    • Aquascape.jpg
  • Refuge & Sump Plan
    • 1595928380025.png
  • Build Status
    • Room
      • Replace wood flooring with Tile
        • Room floor drain as precaution for future spills
      • Possible change to floor heating
        • Germany we use hot water radiators
      • Inter Floor Piping
        • Open: How many pipes & how big should I plan between floors?
        • Current plan is 4 (Main Drain, Secondary Drain, Main Return, 2nd Return)
      • Salt resisting repainting on tank wall (plaster over brick)
        • Open: Need recommendation for paint type for this wall
    • Basement
      • Sump, Frag, Refugium Table
      • RODI System
      • Top-Off System
      • Water piping
      • GFCI Power
      • Cleaning Table
      • Salt resisting repainting on tank and floor (Cinder block and concrete)
      • Floor drain present
  • Budget Plan
    • These will be published after agreement with partners for portions of the work.
    • Overall the budget is over €10,000. Ouch.
  • Inhabitants Plan (Fish, Coral, Inverts, etc.)
    • Fish
      • Cardinals, Tangs, Clowns, Blennies, Gobies, possibly a cow or other interesting fish
      • Essentially it is a reef safe low aggression.
    • Corals
      • Acropora and Zoanthids, need to spend more time finding the right ideas
    • Inverts
      • Pistol Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, snails, hermits
      • Anenome, looking for species advice.
Revisions
  1. Week 0: Original Post
  2. Week 1: Added Basement Sump Diagram, fixed spelling errors
  3. Week 2: Added Aquascape Section & Drawing
  4. Week 3: Updated floorplans, scale fish room drawing, water station

This area in development - stay tuned for more.

Last edited:

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of overflow are you planning? i went with the bean animal which has three 1" pipes( three holes). i have one 11/4" return and another hole for water changes or other use. total 5 holes. The holes also allow wiring to pass from the DT to the sump.
in my case i was able to drill through the hardwood floor directly into the basement. i briefly considered putting containment under the stand and plumbing a drain into the basement with piping to the sink there.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow go big or go home right!?!

OP
OP
EuroDan

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of overflow are you planning? i went with the bean animal which has three 1" pipes( three holes). i have one 11/4" return and another hole for water changes or other use. total 5 holes. The holes also allow wiring to pass from the DT to the sump.
in my case i was able to drill through the hardwood floor directly into the basement. i briefly considered putting containment under the stand and plumbing a drain into the basement with piping to the sink there.

Hi @dbowman5

The tank I am going to use has an integrated central overflow that is 51.5cm wide and has two drain and two return pipes. The two returns allow you to use two return pumps, which would protect you from pump failure.

My house was built in 1937 and has concrete floors. Our current plan is to drill 5 holes to give more flexibility.

The fish room was key as I use the space as a work-from-home office and wanted to keep as much noisey stuff as possible in the basement.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @dbowman5

The tank I am going to use has an integrated central overflow that is 51.5cm wide and has two drain and two return pipes. The two returns allow you to use two return pumps, which would protect you from pump failure.

My house was built in 1937 and has concrete floors. Our current plan is to drill 5 holes to give more flexibility.

The fish room was key as I use the space as a work-from-home office and wanted to keep as much noisey stuff as possible in the basement.
you are definitely on the right track. my DT is nearly silent. I have a 75 gal fresh water tank with two HOB biowheel filters.
they are noisy when the impellers get dirty and that is the only noise i have on my main floor. I hear the overflow if the siphon unbalances but that is a good thing! take step by step pictures of your build. years from now you will be glad you did!

OP
OP
EuroDan

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 Update

Hello All,

I am trying to do weekly updates on what is planned, changed, and add additional information. I am doing this by editing the original post.

At the bottom of that post you will find a revisions section which explains what I added and or removed.

This week I am updating drawings and breaking out a section on the water station revision.

Now if the room build would get started, I would be able to post actual pictures.

-Dan

OP
OP
EuroDan

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3: Water station.

I had planned on doing the Brute container system. After reading more and talking to some trusted friends, I decide the water volume was not enough. With a total volume of around 900 liters (240 Gal), I would need 225L or 60g of water available. This is 25% of the total volume.

The brute containers are close but there were a few issues. I also have had difficulty finding suitable large volume food-grade containers here in Germany that are not overly expensive.

The solution is the 300L IBC Container:
1596624661899.png

I now have a reserve of 60% of the system volume.

I considered stacking them, which these containers are designed to do, but at 2M tall and having to put salt water on top (to have access to the lid), I decide side by side is the way to go.

My design is very similar to what most people end up with:
1596624762182.png

I am working on the piping design now.

Thanks for reading,
Dan

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the revisions section of your original post is a great idea, i may format my next build thread that way. are you planning a rimless tank? open top? how much spray are you expecting? how far from the wall will it be? will you be able to clean the wall? how much of the wall will be taken up by the tank? these questions may inform your decision. If you are having a contractor remodel, are they doing the paint/flooring?
Have you considered how you want the DT to be framed by the wall?

OP
OP
EuroDan

EuroDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the revisions section of your original post is a great idea, i may format my next build thread that way. are you planning a rimless tank? open top? how much spray are you expecting? how far from the wall will it be? will you be able to clean the wall? how much of the wall will be taken up by the tank? these questions may inform your decision. If you are having a contractor remodel, are they doing the paint/flooring?
Have you considered how you want the DT to be framed by the wall?

Slow response as the Health Ministry put my home under quarantine due to exposure from one of my daughter's friends who though her cough wasn't a big deal. When she tested positive for COVID, we got the order. Not that I mind staying home.

Ok so the room is 3.2M x 3.2M (10.5ft x 10.5 ft). Placing the tank centrally frame it nicely with 60cm on both sides. My computer with web cam are on the opposite wall, so it will be a great background when I do video conferences.

I am doing rimless, but with the insert tank covers so there are no escapes, well other than a trip through the overflow to the sump. I don't expect much spray. I have not fully decided if I should do suspended lighting or tank mounted.

Floor is being replaced. Hardwood to tile with drain.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are good epoxy style outdoor paints that would stand up well to exposure to salt. but I just went with Kilz primer and white latex paint for my walls and floor in my basement. In my DT room i also have plaster over brick and i just stayed with the latex that is on it. The AC is keeping the humidity in the house down so I haven't seen any sweating of the wall behind the aquarium. I am not getting much salt creep due to glass covers.
Good fortune to you and yours on the Covid front. I think i was exposed early on and recovered from it with only mild symptoms.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back