David Saxby lighting AI Prime

Nataleeia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the David Saxby preset for my AI Prime 16HD and everything is really going great. I'm not complaining at all.
But I am wondering if maybe some of the intensity values may need adjusting for my setup as unlike David, I don't run a 12000 gallon tank with over 20 light fixtures.

My setup is a 30g 80cmx40cmx40cm with 1x ai prime 16hd. My light fitting is around 25cm above the tank.

We are definitely seeing growth but we are just trying to make sure we get our full potential.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a PAR meter? That is the best way to maximize growth in my opinion. I was so off in my PAR predictions. it made a dramatic difference in my tank after adjusting light power to be in the range I wanted.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the David Saxby preset for my AI Prime 16HD and everything is really going great. I'm not complaining at all.
But I am wondering if maybe some of the intensity values may need adjusting for my setup as unlike David, I don't run a 12000 gallon tank with over 20 light fixtures.

My setup is a 30g 80cmx40cmx40cm with 1x ai prime 16hd. My light fitting is around 25cm above the tank.

We are definitely seeing growth but we are just trying to make sure we get our full potential.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
As mentioned above a single prime on a 80cm is not enough spread, another one or two units are needed imo

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a PAR meter? That is the best way to maximize growth in my opinion. I was so off in my PAR predictions. it made a dramatic difference in my tank after adjusting light power to be in the range I wanted.
Biggest game changer in this hobby for me after 20 years of on and off again was a par meter. no more guess work. If I do my part everything grows now.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above a single prime on a 80cm is not enough spread, another one or two units are needed imo
2 units on 80 cm is overkill. I have 150 and run three. She could even mount them a bit higher for more spread and then increase the power. Saxby runs max. 45 watt.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 units on 80 cm is overkill. I have 150 and run three. She could even mount them a bit higher for more spread and then increase the power. Saxby runs max. 45 watt.
Definitely not overkill. I have a reefer 250 (90cm) with two primes and one 32, that is overkill. I ran a single prime on a 60 cm and the spread wasn’t great. It all depends on what corals you want to keep, and on the PAR readings you are getting.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not overkill. I have a reefer 250 (90cm) with two primes and one 32, that is overkill. I ran a single prime on a 60 cm and the spread wasn’t great. It all depends on what corals you want to keep, and on the PAR readings you are getting.
I have a single prime on a 14 gal AIO. It's centered. Everything grows towards the light. I can grow whatever. But you aren't exactly laying down par. The spread is terrible I do admittedly use a diffuser on it because the blend is much better with it, it does kill about 5% of the total par. A second would be nice. But now we are talking $600 to light a tiny tank.

But it does grow coral. Just not in the kost natural patterns.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back