dead seahorse help

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me what killed her my husband help me to try and figure out loading photos she was a dark color like her tail she feels normal no open sores or red marks fins not brittle tryed to treat with furan 2 two days later lost her snick did some reading might be reacting to meds took her out put in clean water for a few days snick returned noticed the whitning then tryed to treat with kanaplex in the water died 4 days after starting treatment

P1200797.JPG

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are trying very hard to save these ponies and that you really love them.

I never had a pony turn whitish like that and none of my ponies ever lost their snick so I am at a loss as to why she died.

Maybe someone else who has had a similar experience could help???

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry for your loss. I know you are trying very hard to save these ponies and that you really love them.

I never had a pony turn whitish like that and none of my ponies ever lost their snick so I am at a loss as to why she died.

Maybe someone else who has had a similar experience could help???
thank you

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss.
In my experience, the ONLY times I've seen them go whitish like that is when they die maybe early at night and I don't see them so they are left overnight, meaning that the white, unless you KNOW it was white before it died, is just the early decomposition changes occurring.
If it was white BEFORE death then I'd suspect it was a natural colour change due to stress from original problem.
I've had MANY unknown death situations over the last 14 yrs but have come to accept that the most likely causes are slowly deteriorating conditions of the water that lead to bacterial infections OR to internal chemical imbalances that affect internal organs causing failure.
Usually then I don't have a problem again after remedying the husbandry situation until for one reason or another, I slack off enough times over a PERIOD of time and the water again degrades.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss.
In my experience, the ONLY times I've seen them go whitish like that is when they die maybe early at night and I don't see them so they are left overnight, meaning that the white, unless you KNOW it was white before it died, is just the early decomposition changes occurring.
If it was white BEFORE death then I'd suspect it was a natural colour change due to stress from original problem.
I've had MANY unknown death situations over the last 14 yrs but have come to accept that the most likely causes are slowly deteriorating conditions of the water that lead to bacterial infections OR to internal chemical imbalances that affect internal organs causing failure.
Usually then I don't have a problem again after remedying the husbandry situation until for one reason or another, I slack off enough times over a PERIOD of time and the water again degrades.
thank you for the honest reply i am sorry to hear about your losses but it helps in that it can happen to other people too as i feel so responsible and a bad mom i am doing everything i can and when i first started out i read/told how to care for these little guys (which was a lot less in hubandry) after having you guys help and talking to me i have learned so much and stepped up all husbandry and other suggestions made that hopefully i can save the others i had ntoticed a white oblong on her side two days ago she was alive last night before bed but not this morning thank you for the resonse and all the suggestions in past posts it has helped having everyone experences and sugestions

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do everything possible in the right way and STILL have losses.
Look how many humans die in spite of the medical profession. Seahorses are the same in that you can do everything possible and they can still die.
Of course, in both cases, miracles happen also.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do everything possible in the right way and STILL have losses.
Look how many humans die in spite of the medical profession. Seahorses are the same in that you can do everything possible and they can still die.
Of course, in both cases, miracles happen also.
thank you so much

santosh_kumar_mahato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It hurts the most to see that it is no more. If a part of their body is white then it is impossible to save it. They change color whenever it is in shock, for me it's the most wonderful animal in the marine world. I am too late to write but I'm sorry for your loss :disappointed-face:

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you keep the tank temperature at. It looks like a bacterial infection is what may have caused. If the temperature was on the warmer side . That why it recommended they be kept in the lower 70’s.
Is this just a seahorse tank she was in or a mixed tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back