dealing with humidity with basement setup

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys just bought another house and i will be able to set up a big tank. the tank will be going on my office in our finished basement however there is no ventilation down there aside from a few windows . we are located in new hampshire so i’m looking for a lower cost option to appease the wife and make sure the humidity associated with a tank won’t cause mold .

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier? I always recommend them to my customers it helps with bugs as well

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s what i was thinking ! she is adamant that it’s not sufficient haha just wanting to get some research in before bringing my case

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s what i was thinking ! she is adamant that it’s not sufficient haha just wanting to get some research in before bringing my case
If will be. If it's not enough just get a bigger one. During the summer the AC will help but it won't be enough.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier works but is more expensive to operate than an exhaust fan operating off a humidistat. Depending on how humid it is maybe both, so when exhaust is not enough.
Ductless ac units come with dehumidify, and heat options

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier works but is more expensive to operate than an exhaust fan operating off a humidistat. Depending on how humid it is maybe both, so when exhaust is not enough.
Ductless ac units come with dehumidify, and heat options
how hard is it to install a humidistat with exhaust fan?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how hard is it to install a humidistat with exhaust fan?
Not too hard. If it’s 120v control is can be wired directly in line. If it lower voltage you would have to add a transformer. Or you could get a fan with built in humidity sensor

Last edited:

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your furnace is in the basement and you have a central system all you have to do is open or install a SMALL vent in your cold air return and a louvered door. Maybe even install a whole house humidity system.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your basement dry now? Might not need much or anything. Set out a tank with heated water and see what humidity actually does before investing in expensive upgrades. Humidity instruments aren't that expensive. They you can consult with professional with some humidity readings to get appropriate solution instead of guessing.

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your basement dry now? Might not need much or anything. Set out a tank with heated water and see what humidity actually does before investing in expensive upgrades. Humidity instruments aren't that expensive. They you can consult with professional with some humidity readings to get appropriate solution instead of guessing.
yeah it’s dry finished basement no furnace in basement

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah it’s dry finished basement no furnace in basement

How is the house heated?

In Minnesota, the winters are dry and summer are humid. For the basement where I have a smaller tank, I use a dehumidifier in the summer, and have a pot of water on the space heater in the winter to add humidity.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is a Big Tank? There are a lot of different methods to mitigate humidity but first its important to understand the water volume and open water surface area involved.

OP
OP
jguerin88

jguerin88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is a Big Tank? There are a lot of different methods to mitigate humidity but first its important to understand the water volume and open water surface area involved.
haven’t decided on that yet i’ll have a 10 gal im and something between 80-120 gallon plus sump

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back