Delta clamping down on Live Shipments!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DL_Delta_Banner_658x200.jpg

Read this from my good buddy Kris Cline from Carolina Aquatics!

Hey guys, I talked to Delta today and this is legit. Fish are going to be linked in with animals on this shipping ban that happens August 1st. Delta will no longer ship any live animals when it is 80F or higher at any Destination or transfer point along the trip. This IS a big deal! Please take 3 min and fill out this form to try to help stop this.

This from PIJAC:

Attention Aquarium hobbyists:

We've learned recently that Delta Airlines' Cargo division (Delta Cargo) will make substantial changes to its live animal transportation policy that are bad for the pet trade, aquarium hobbyists, and pet owners in general. These changes are scheduled to go into effect on August 1st--that's less than 3 weeks from today--and we need your help to convince Delta to not make these changes.

Background

Here are the details... Based on the information circulated by Delta Cargo to a limited audience, PIJAC is deeply concerned that the changes are not based on sound science and are not in line with widely accepted air-transport standards from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), International Air Transport Association (IATA), or even the standards of other cargo services in the U.S. We're also concerned that Delta did not consider differences between warm-blooded and cold-blooded animals and that the changes to Delta's policy were made without contacting animal care professionals and experts in the pet trade, including pet businesses that are Delta customers.

These changes include:

• Temperature restrictions modified to a maximum of 80°F (27°C) and a minimum of 20°F (-7°C) during the time an animal will be in any station during transport.
  • Limitation of up to one connecting city in the routing for all live animals.
  • Live animals may no longer be shipped as DASH (DASH is an express service that ensures an animal receives priority boarding).
What Does This Mean for You?

Air transport is necessary to connect American families with pets and for the pet trade to conduct business. If Delta's changes to live animal transport go into effect as planned, hobbyists could experience problems with orders and rising costs as businesses across the U.S. will be unable to ship pet animals using Delta Cargo for months at a time. This hurts the aquatic pet industry businesses you trust and love, their employees, and ultimately you--consumers across the country.

Many of today’s most popular fish are either wild caught or captive bred overseas. Not only would captive bred fish become extremely hard to find as there are only so many facilities in the U.S. but many wild caught fish would become almost impossible to locate, particularly freshwater varieties since they are often caught during the same time of year as the temperature restrictions would bar their shipment.

What We Are Asking of You

That’s why we need you to tell Delta why this change is bad and how it will impact you. Use our system to send your message today and spread the word on forums and social media about this issue. There’s no time to waste-- please use our site to send your comments to Delta today!

Link to the PIJAC article and to where you can send Delta a message.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up.. my protest over there plan has been sent.

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delta is the main airline operating at the small Rhinelander WI airport (divers den)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delta is the main airline operating at the small Rhinelander WI airport (divers den)

That may well be, but every DD order I have ever placed is picked up by UPS and flown on UPS airlines from Minneapolis through Louisville to New York JFK and then driven to my front door. I suppose it's possible that it's flown on Delta from Rhinelander to Minneapolis (240 miles, give or take), but I doubt it.

Further, I fail to see why the proposed changes are a bad thing - certainly not the temperature stipulations and the single city. Maybe bad for the broader pet trade from a revenue perspective, but bad for hobbyists or pet owners, I don't see it! I avoid ordering fish during the very cold and very hot months simply because the losses are too high (particularly if there are any delays). I'd imagine the change is driven by loss claims. We claim to care about the animals we keep .......

Last edited:

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah but Delta flies 50 seat CRJ into there and that plane can barely carry the passengers luggage, so it's not likely they carry much cargo on those flights since the plane has limited space.

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered if those small planes carried those shipments. Sounds like you guys know that they don’t.

They don’t even serve cocktails on that flight which is a bummer when you’re heading on northwoods vacation :)

Gotta agree anyway that if the proposed rules reduce mortality it’s a good thing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but Delta flies 50 seat CRJ into there and that plane can barely carry the passengers luggage.

S'truth!! I don't fly Delta much, but have 2.5 million miles on AA, and those CRJ planes just make my back ache LOL

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm on vacation right now qnd flew via Delta and just seen the pet warnings posted. There are options such as UPS (dependable) and FEDEX ( not very dependable) and the new ship your aquatics.com as cost effective items and they ship to your door

U

User1

View Badges
I'm on the side of the fence that this is a good thing that they are implementing. Sadly they are the ones forced to do it rather than the seller or buyer. To put it into perspective I look at the forecast before I plan on buying anything related to fish or corals. No disrespect to anyone who doesn't but to me it seems common sense. Things happen in transport. Delays, accidents, traffic, and mother nature to name a few. Northern California summer heat or winter freeze mixed in with shipping things can happen. Just how I see it.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow....it's 80+ in Phoenix 80% of the year....They must be aware about shipping with temperature controlling devices etc... This makes no sense for fish anyways! Response sent!

Pjhjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response sent. We need to point out to Delta that fish and corals are shipped in their own heavily insulated completely enclosed environments, unlike dogs, cats, and other animals.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like this would really restrict the days or end wholesale shipments on Delta from the south pacific.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
JUST SPOKE WITH DELTA.
As of today 7/20, they changed rules andvtgese are permanent:

THEY WILL SHIP AND CONTINUE TO SHIP AQUATICS, BIRDS and REPTILES ONLY THROUGH DELTA CARGO. They require livestock arrive at least 3 hours BEFORE intended flight departure to your city.
THIS IS GOOD NEWS!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back