Derasa QT questions

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I saw a gorgeous 2-3” Brown/gold Derasa clam at my local Petco today. I didn’t get it since I wanted to see what it would take to QT.

Looks like it is 6 weeks at 81F.

For those who have QT’d one, what did you do for lighting? Did you have to do any supplemental feedings?

Thanks,
-TCoach

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to QT clams unless you have other clams in the system. To QT a clam you need to set up a separate reed system with light for them. You can use LED flood light daylight and it will work just fine.
I have three system that I keep. I use these system to make sure coral clams are disease free before they go into my DT

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have large, 8 years old Deresa, which was covered in majanos. I put her to large container with heater, powerhead and cheap Fluval light for 6 weeks.I didn't have better light to spare. I was scrubbing her of majanos and applying vinegar soaks to her shell. I also had some live rock there. After putting her back to DT, she had enormous growth spur. This indicates that conditions in her QT were not ideal, but she survived and is doing pretty well. Her name is Theresa.

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to QT clams unless you have other clams in the system. To QT a clam you need to set up a separate reed system with light for them. You can use LED flood light daylight and it will work just fine.
I have three system that I keep. I use these system to make sure coral clams are disease free before they go into my DT
Currently I have a Maxima on my reef.

My local Petco has had some issues with disease. Tanks look good now, but I want to do a 6 week raised temp QT to try and make sure no parasites are encysted on the shell.

-TCoach

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the you need to set up another system to keep him in for 2 months. Small clam like that will need stability. Can’t keep him alive in a bucket with just light. You will need PH, good heater and great bright light. Need to keep it stable like a normal reef tank.
Can’t short corner habitat for clams. You don’t have to really dose calcium and alkalinity but it would be better if you do

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have large, 8 years old Deresa, which was covered in majanos. I put her to large container with heater, powerhead and cheap Fluval light for 6 weeks.I didn't have better light to spare. I was scrubbing her of majanos and applying vinegar soaks to her shell. I also had some live rock there. After putting her back to DT, she had enormous growth spur. This indicates that conditions in her QT were not ideal, but she survived and is doing pretty well. Her name is Theresa.
I had to log in to like your post "Her name is Theresa" haha

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it could be for ich and velvet rather than a specific clam disease

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, ich and velvet are unlikely to make it into the tank on a clam. Unless you QT absolutely everything (corals, rocks, sand, fish, inverts) you will always risk Ich and Velvet.
The only thing that truly prevents it is a healthy thriving fish. I’ve seen strict QT processes on corals, inverts and fish fail to stop Velvet and Ich. Often the reason for this is because the sand and rocks weren’t QTed either.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, ich and velvet are unlikely to make it into the tank on a clam. Unless you QT absolutely everything (corals, rocks, sand, fish, inverts) you will always risk Ich and Velvet.
The only thing that truly prevents it is a healthy thriving fish. I’ve seen strict QT processes on corals, inverts and fish fail to stop Velvet and Ich. Often the reason for this is because the sand and rocks weren’t QTed either.
Clams have a pretty big surface area for tomonts to attach to. I do qt my inverts, my rocks and my coral. The exception is acros and similar which have not fared well in my qt system. It provides a little risk to skip these but compared to the huge area on a mature clam its tiny

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clams have a pretty big surface area for tomonts to attach to. I do qt my inverts, my rocks and my coral. The exception is acros and similar which have not fared well in my qt system. It provides a little risk to skip these but compared to the huge area on a mature clam its tiny
Back to @i cant think u still leave the door open.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the clam?
I personally don’t QT anything and I’ve never had an issue in 10+ years. Whilst I’ve seen numerous QT attempts fail within a year.
It really is just the trick of getting a healthy fish from day one. QT helps but the main reason it helps is to get shy fish to eat. Other than that there’s not much use for QT without QTing everything (and I mean everything).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT or treat my fish unless I see a problem. I do have acclimation procedure for my sensitive fish to get them use to captive condition and food. I often get really small fishes so I do watch them closely and feed them well prior to get them into my DT where they have to compete with a large number of fishes for food.
I do observational QT all my clams, anemones and coral prior to get them into my DT. Treatment of unintentional nasties is so much easier in a 40 gal breeder than a 320 gal DT

OP
OP
TCoach

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I grabbed 2 nice Derasa clams from Petco. One is 3” the other is closer to 2”.

I’ve setup a 15 gallon Fluval Flex for the Derasa QT using water from my DT. I hung a Viparspectra 165 over it, so par should not be an issue.

Some questions:

1. What par should I keep them at? I know for this size tank, the Viparspectra can scorch them. Any idea on where to set the lights at pct wize.

2. Will being bare bottom be an issue for them? My DT does have sand.

3. I’m using an Ink Bird to control the temp. I set it for 82F with a 1F hysteresis. Will that be ok?

Any other advice for a first time clam QT’er?

Thanks,
-TCoach

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back