desperate, bryopsis problem!

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please help me out my fellow R2R buddies...
what cause the bryopsis? phosphates and nitrates?
somone told me that if i raise my mag level up to 1600-1800 for a week it will get rid of it, is this a good counter for the bryopsis attack?..

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the Mag will work, IF you use Kent TechM or Brightwell's Mg supplement, and it takes much longer than a week. It's not actually the magnesium that kill the Bryopsis. There some unknown impurity, in Kent TechM and Brightwell's Mg supplement, that's thought to kill the Bryopsis.

Most have had good results by raising their MG, to 1600, I went 1700. You'll need to keep it there for a fairly long period AND you'll need to do regular, large water changes, in order to be able to dose more Mg supplements. I've had good results, with the Mg overdose, though a few cautions, or at least words of warning.

Some corals will bleach. I noticed this with a lot of my Zoanthids, one Pocillopora, a Turbinaria Scroll coral and a couple of Acans. They didn't bleach, in the normal sense of the word. They actually turned a lighter, almost fluorescent color. It was pretty cool, actually...lol. All of the bleached corals will return to their original color, but it will take awhile.

Some have reported snails dying off. I didn't experience any die off, of anything, other than Bryopsis and a Turf Algae that I have. I have the Turf Algae in a few small areas in the tank. Only the Turf algae that receives direct light, died. It first bleached and then died.

Majano's bleached, but unfortunately, none died....lol.

I kept my levels elevated for about 3 months actually. I've read where people who've allowed their Mg levels to drop, at the 2 month point, have had the Bryopsis come back, quickly.

I raised my Mg, over a 4 day period. Some raise it all at once, thinking that the "Shock" is what does it. At day 6, my Bryopsis all bleached. The morning of day 7, I woke up to a tank without a trace of Bryopsis.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so does it just desolve or just detaches and floats into the filter?

by the way thanks for taking the time to type all that up sid i appreciate it, i thought it was HA the whole time and kept picking it off by hand till i bought a sea hare and he didnt even touch it..

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the Mag will work, IF you use Kent TechM or Brightwell's Mg supplement, and it takes much longer than a week. It's not actually the magnesium that kill the Bryopsis. There some unknown impurity, in Kent TechM and Brightwell's Mg supplement, that's thought to kill the Bryopsis.

I think that might vary. I raised my Mg to 1,700ppm with Tech M for a week and it was gone and has not come back. YMMV

I agree with everything else you said. I had a Superman Montipora that really bleached.

To answer jiffy's question in the next post, the magnesium comes in a solution (liquid form). It gives you directions on how much to add at a time.

CJ

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that might vary. I raised my Mg to 1,700ppm with Tech M for a week and it was gone and has not come back. YMMV

I agree with everything else you said. I had a Superman Montipora that really bleached.

To answer jiffy's question in the next post, the magnesium comes in a solution (liquid form). It gives you directions on how much to add at a time.

CJ

ymmv?

im definitely going to try the tech M, and lol ive seen the solution before. my question was referring to the bryopsis, what happens does it just desolve away or detach itself from the rocks/crevices its in and just float around the tank?

pitbullguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tech m works great, just buy it and be done with your problem. It really works that well! Raise it slow and you will be golden. I went to 1800 and it whipped it out.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I knew Tech M did the trick, but this is the first I've heard that Brightwell's Mg supplement worked as well.
Is the Brightwells any cheaper? When I did my 240, I ended up using 2-3 gallons.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ymmv?

im definitely going to try the tech M, and lol ive seen the solution before. my question was referring to the bryopsis, what happens does it just desolve away or detach itself from the rocks/crevices its in and just float around the tank?

YMMV- your mileage may vary. I had good luck with it after a week. Others, like returnofsid had to wait much longer.

It's funny, I actually don't remember exactly what happened to the bryopsis. I'm pretty sure that it dissolved.

CJ

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Tech M and dosed it at 1ML/gal, although my mag levels were already high. After 1 week it was completely gone and it basically just completely dissolved away.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Tech-M. I raised my mag and kept it between 1800-2000. Another thing is if you bump it up to that range your snails will get lethargic. I actually thought mine were dead they barely moved. After I dropped it back down to 1500-1600 they were fine. I actually added 6 snails while my mag was in the 1800-2000 range and they all died. I guess they can survive levels that high if it is done slowly but not the shock of going from the lfs to my tank. I even drip acclimated them also. I actually had no issues with corals including several monti caps and digis.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing, is I stopped water changes until it was all dead in order to keep the mag and tech M as concentrated as possible. My thoughts was that doing WC's would reduce the concentration of whatever is killing the bryopsis.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all ur help everyone... but what causes the bryopsis, cause i dont recall getting any coral with it on it already... high nitrates or phosphates the cause?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
thanks for all ur help everyone... but what causes the bryopsis, cause i dont recall getting any coral with it on it already... high nitrates or phosphates the cause?

It may have come in on a coral, but was too small to see. Once there it will feed on phosphates.

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent M wiped mine out in short order. Snails slowed down but no corals bleached. Mine came in on some frags I ordered back in the day. It's lost all it's color then faded away after adding the Kent M.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a helpful thread. Thanks.

I am fighting GHA right now and I just purchased some Tech M to fight it but I have a couple of questions.

1) My Mag is at 1500 right now but that is as high as my test kit goes (Salifert). How do I know what the levels are above that number?
2) How much should I dose? I have an 80g tank with sump....probably 80-90g total water volume.
3) Do I dose in the tank or in the sump?

Thanks.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am fighting GHA right now and I just purchased some Tech M to fight it but I have a couple of questions.

1) My Mag is at 1500 right now but that is as high as my test kit goes (Salifert). How do I know what the levels are above that number?
2) How much should I dose? I have an 80g tank with sump....probably 80-90g total water volume.

Thanks.

Dosing tech-m will do nothing for hair algae, it only works on bryopsis.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.

i had problems with hair algae before, you can buy a sea hare... but to stop HA u must hit it at the root of the problem, its caused by high nitrates and phosphates.. a few people suggested a reactor but i havent had money to buy any new equipment... i have a thread or 2 about it, if you still need help..

Kent M wiped mine out in short order. Snails slowed down but no corals bleached. Mine came in on some frags I ordered back in the day. It's lost all it's color then faded away after adding the Kent M.

yea you can pick at it till you can no longer see it but it still comes back.. lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back