Detritus vs Smart Roller. Detritus wins

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlivvy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mlivvy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
816
Reaction score
340
Location
RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the smart roller and followed reef factorys instructions. I seem to get alot of detritus in my sump. The socks were alot more effective. Anything i’m doing wrong?


IMG_1620.jpeg
 
it looks like that filter is installed in the chamber just prior to your return pump. in order for it to be effective for the whole sump, it would need to be placed such that all water entering the sump passes through it first before getting there. It would also need to be able to catch all the water with no path for the water to bypass it. Hope that helps.
 
I’m unfamiliar with this specific roller, but typically it’s plumbed in such a way that the water coming from your overflow passes through it to catch the detritus. By the pic, it looks to just be submerged in the sump?
 
I too am confused how this particular roller filter is plumbed into your setup? As I can see some plumbing going do a filter cup going into the sump.
 
I couldn't fit it into the first chamber so I swapped the skimmer for the roller. All water goes to the roller first. The 2nd drain has a trickle
Into a cup with floss and 3rd drain is for emergency.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1627.png
    IMG_1627.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 50
Detritus is formed through decomposing organic material. Those organic material could be dissolved or be so small in the water column that it doesnt get filtered out. With you switching around the flow setup of your sump, you practically have little to no flow through the first chamber of your sump. Detritus are easily formed and collected in areas with little to no flow.

I would try and replumb your sump so that everything flows through the first chamber first.
 
This might be going back to basics ( and i can't really tell from the picture) but I've seen lots of people who thread the roll wrong on this model which leaves a gap between roll and the body of the roller.

The roll is supposed to go on the outside of the 2 rods/guides.

Also check what the start delay is in the settings, if its to high water will overflow and that overflow will contain alot of detritus. (30 seconds seems to work for me, even when scraping glass and stirring sandbed)

I have the smart roller S and it stops detritus just fine.
 
This might be going back to basics ( and i can't really tell from the picture) but I've seen lots of people who thread the roll wrong on this model which leaves a gap between roll and the body of the roller.

The roll is supposed to go on the outside of the 2 rods/guides.

Also check what the start delay is in the settings, if its to high water will overflow and that overflow will contain alot of detritus. (30 seconds seems to work for me, even when scraping glass and stirring sandbed)

I have the smart roller S and it stops detritus just fine.

Hmm. I'm going to remove the roller tomorrow and check it. I think I have it mounted on the inside not the outside.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new