pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 12 to 14 wraps i believe.

I should have went with 3/4” pvc. But I had 1” here already. My tank runs silent, but lately it’s been touchy.

Thanks!

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says this gate valve is far superior to the RedSea valve. After 2 years I’m going to try it out. How much Teflon tape do I use?

2F4E0A68-2B44-4D51-BFB6-1A2B67B5A017.jpeg

What makes it superior to red seas? Just curious as I’ve never had an issue with my RSR valve...

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes it superior to red seas? Just curious as I’ve never had an issue with my RSR valve...

Everyone said it’s easier to tune. I’m not sure yet as I’ve not installed it. My redsea valve has been touchy the last few weeks. It’s been running for 18-19 months now. Up until recently I’ve had no issues with the redsea valve.

I plan to swap them out and take my redsea valve apart to look inside.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adjusting my valve almost constantly. It would be perfect water level and dead silent for a week then raise into the emergency drain and get loud. Id adjust again itd be perfect for a week then do it again. Id adjust it then the a day or two later Id lose the siphon completely. Did this for a year before adding the spears gate valve. I might have touched it twice since the change a year ago.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was adjusting my valve almost constantly. It would be perfect water level and dead silent for a week then raise into the emergency drain and get loud. Id adjust again itd be perfect for a week then do it again. Id adjust it then the a day or two later Id lose the siphon completely. Did this for a year before adding the spears gate valve. I might have touched it twice since the change a year ago.

From what I’ve read I’m sure I’ll be thinking “why didn’t I do this before”... haha

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow. I’ve had a totally different experience. I think last time I needed to adjust mine was a yr or more ago.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’ve had a totally different experience. I think last time I needed to adjust mine was a yr or more ago.
They seem to be hit or miss. Some say no issue at all while others fight and fight. At one point I remember putting it into a name one thing i hate about reefing thread :)

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve had good luck with mine until recently!

They seem to be hit or miss. Some say no issue at all while others fight and fight. At one point I remember putting it into a name one thing i hate about reefing thread :)

Hilarious! I literally dumped some frozen food with RODI water into my tank last night. It somehow made my overflow rush into the emergency drain and was loud.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says this gate valve is far superior to the RedSea valve. After 2 years I’m going to try it out. How much Teflon tape do I use?

2F4E0A68-2B44-4D51-BFB6-1A2B67B5A017.jpeg

I am thinking about doing this on my 170 if I can figure it all out...lol.. The red sea one was working well for the first couple of months, but now seems to need adjusting every few days, not a huge pain, but still annoying.....

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@squampton It’s pretty simple so far! Will update once it’s on the tank!

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HAHAHAHA

Is the new valve silent

100% silent. I always had a slow trickle down the emergency drain. Not anymore! I was VERY nervous about removing the Red Sea plumbing though. With extra care it wasn’t a problem! My only issue was getting the Red Sea pipe out and the new one in, simply due to the wires being in the way. Going to keep a close eye on it to make sure I don’t have any leaks. Working on a video, should be ready tomorrow.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About what I imagine the inside of the red sea looking...lol...

So if I understand this correctly, you just need to order the one piece from Red Sea and then just need PVC and the gate valve?

Does the part have a specific name or part #?

I really want to do this on my reefer 170.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick recap of the new gate valve setup, the drain has been spot on. Recently I've had to tinker with the RedSea valve more and more frequently, up until this point I had no issues with it. If you are having issues with your RedSea drain valve it is worth looking into!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back