clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Findings so far:
*Concentrate tube was plumbed to the DI
Fix: Re-plumb unit correctly
*Very low system pressure even with booster pump. Found that system did not have a flow restrictor.
Fix: Install flow restrictor sized for cold feedwater in NH.

Russ
Thanks for posting the findings and solutions Russ. And I didn’t realize water temperature was an input to restrictor sizing. Makes sense, but I’ve only seen flow restrictors matched to membrane capacity (gpd).

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow restrictors (https://www.buckeyehydro.com/capillary-flow-restrictors/ ) are rated based upon the flow they will pass at 60 psi and 77 F. Same temperature and pressure specs used by most membrane manufacturers (with a notable exception being Filmtec - the best in the biz. They use 50 psi and 77F).

So let's say you use a 75 gpd membrane and you feed it 48 psi and 58F water. Using our calculator ( https://www.buckeyehydro.com/calculator/ ), you find that your 75 membrane will only produce 49 gpd. So, assuming you have typical hard water, you'd want about 4 x 49 gpd in concentrate flow. 4 x 49 = 196 gpd.

Flow restrictors are rated in ml/min rather than gpd. So, if you do the mathematical conversion, you'd find 196 gpd = 515 ml/min. You're in luck. There are flow restrictors rated at 525 ml (typically used with a 50 gpd membrane).

These mathematical gyrations confuse lots of people, so a quick and dirty approach if you have cold water or low pressure is to go one level of flow restrictor tighter (less flow) than the rating of your membrane.

Russ

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the system working thanks to all of you. A big thank you to Russ @Buckeye Hydro I just got out of the phone with Him. Very nice guy! And we found out that my membrane is not good too. Its pretty much feeding dirty water to my DI. I have a new membrane, and some extra parts, on the way.
By next week the system will be working the way it should hopefully. Thanks again guys! You guys are the best!!!!!

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live in nashua. The water was not that bad. Resin should last much much longer.

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got it sorted out. Remember everytime you make RO water, you should flush the membrane for a few minutes before you connect to DI. Now time to buy some frags with all the $ you will be saving.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys leave the RODI on when not using it, Or you shut off the system. My stays on with the float valve shutting off the water. Its almost 80psi.
will that waste the DI?

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an exemplo: I made some water last night. Container got full, float valve stopped the RODI, but the pressure still there. Someone once told me that I should shut the water source and release the pressure of the system. Turn on when I use it again.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary to shut the feedwater off, as long as your ASOV is working. Will have zero effect on the DI

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go through a lot of it then you probably need to have separate cation and anion resin chambers. That way you will only need to replace the anion which will be cheaper in the long run.

only replace the anion? It may be true that it depletes faster, if you have high CO2 in your water, but you will need to replace both.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked your municipal water supply report? It is available to the public. I am thinking that maybe you are using a regular carbon block to filter out chloramines, and that won't work. If your city water does use chloramines as a disinfectant, then you will want to get the BRS universal carbon block.

I disagree that it “won’t work”. Lots of folks, including me, use normal carbon blocks to effectively remove chloramine. For my chloramine article, we had many folks test their water.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain more about a flow restrictor on the waste line? I have an RO buddy and I don’t think it has one. Does that mean too much water is going the path of least resistance and out the waste line?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain more about a flow restrictor on the waste line? I have an RO buddy and I don’t think it has one. Does that mean too much water is going the path of least resistance and out the waste line?
You would be getting no RO water if it didn't have a flow restrictor installed. So yes... your system has a flow restrictor. If it is not visually obvious, remove the concentrate tube from it's fitting and look INSIDE the end of the tube.

Russ

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It CAN work, but it is probably not the most prudent approach.

a cheap chlorine test on the effluent is probably cheaper than always buying a cartridge that might not be needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back