Diadema Poop

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,876
Reaction score
122,547
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DiademaPoopPetriDish.png
Feeding Diadema

I have been looking at Diadema poop. (I know fecal pellets is the scientific term, but Diadema poop is more fun.) Anyway, poop from the wild Diadema is composed of sediment particles, mostly small grains of sand and a very fine brown fibrous matrix. No hint of green or red algae. I have also been feeding the captive Diadema a variety of algae and now some turtle grass as well (I pack long strands of turtle grass into pvc rings and hold them down on the bottom this way.) They seem to ignore the attached Sargassum that I collected from the reefs, but really go for the green, heavily sediment packed turf algae that I scraped from the rocks at the jetty near my house, I think this is Bryopsis, but I'm not sure yet. They do consume the Lawrencia from the bay bottom as well. I will be looking at the captive Diadema poop very soon (I hope that new microscope from the Ocean Reef/TNC loan comes in soon.) and will compare it to the wild poop. I don’t know how much that will help, but it will be interesting. Read more...



More here...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new