Dialing in the flow

RaymondNoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to dial in the flow on my 2 month old Fiji Cube 57g int. The tank came with dual return nozzles with locline and very small openings which seem to create a dense jet stream of water. How would you aim the nozzles? Would you replace the stock nozzles with random flow generators? Currently I have the return nozzles hitting the side glass about 8" from the back at an angle, so about 1/3 of the way (24" deep tank). This seems to create a ton of flow in the 2 front corners down by the substrate and the lower rocks which I plan to cover with softies, such as a few mushrooms didn't seem to like the flow in the front right corner. I moved them to a calmer location in the middle of the tank that's protected by taller rocks and they seem happier. I also have an OctoPulse 2 wavemaker controlled by the Hydros WaveEngine running 15-25% in a triangle wave pattern. Should the return nozzles point at the front of the tank to create turbulence with the OctoPulse wavemaker? Front corners so the flow bounces both directions, left and right? Return pump is CoralBox DCA 3,000 800gph set for the second to lowest setting (2 of 9). The little clowns were getting blown around and even still on the lowest or second lowest setting they still seem to be fighting the current in their favorite spot. The tank is going to be a mixed reef with LPS and softies. May venture into SPS sometime in the future. Thanks in advance.

IMG_9536.png
IMG_9539.png
IMG_9540 (1).png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just experiment and see how the different positions affect the flow in the tank. And then just adjust as necessary

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back