Diamond goby issues again

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first diamond goby I had jumped, I learned my lesson and made a lid and got a new goby. 2 weeks latter he jumps through the netting of my lid and gets caught on the other side and dies. I’m honestly so done with gobys I love them because they keep my tank clean be they seem to have a death wish. And ideas for keeping my sand clean? Any ideas for a fish I can add to my system that won’t jump? I have a jbj 28g nano cube reef tank with upgrades all I have is 2 clownfish that are not aggressive to other fish, snails, and corals. I want s wrasse but am afraid they will jump too.
IMG_1380.JPG

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find clear netting any smaller... also it’s not all netting it’s only in the middle of my lid

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also this fish was about 4x the size of the netting I guess he just jumped straight through like an acrobat!

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll probably by that one I think it’s a little smaller. I feed the dead goby to my rbta

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that netting doesn't look very small. Definitely go with a pre-built top with smaller mesh. I would go with a fighting conch in a tank that small. A goby will just make a mess.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the goby was doing great until it jumped haha maybe I’ll try a conch.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had dirty sand issues, got some nassarius that did ok, but i got a conch one day and my sand was completely cleaned up within a day or two. he put in serious work. he also somehow disappears from time to time for a few days, i get worried he's dead, but then there he is back to work. i assume he takes vacations, he just doesn't run it by me.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fighting Conch, Sea Cucumber, Sand Sifting Sea Star, Nassarius snails are ideal inverts for helping to maintain clean sand.
The best thing you could do however is to have a stronger water flow to the benthic area of your tank. This would minimize the amount of detritus and food collecting on your sand bed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2” netting/screen material is much too large and many fish will find their way through. 1/8” is fine, but unnecessarily small IME. 1/4” is the right porridge. I use a very thin, black cicada netting that I much prefer to the stuff BRS sells.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back