Diamond Goby making a mess

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond goby to my tank last night, and he is making a mess. There is a sand storm clouding up the entire tank since I added him. I have Fiji pink sand. Should I add a layer of larger grain sand over the top of the bed that I have now? Will that even help?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do that. Usually the fisrt few weeks theyll kick up all the sand in the tank, then they kindof settle down in one area and it gets much less messy. Still will bury stuff and generally do whatever they want though. But, i consider that fair trade for sparkly clean sand.

Edit. Adding larger grain sand prob wont do a whole lot. After a couple months though it will have worked most of the fines out and into the filtration. The tank will get better just be patient with it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a diamond goby to my tank last night, and he is making a mess. There is a sand storm clouding up the entire tank since I added him. I have Fiji pink sand. Should I add a layer of larger grain sand over the top of the bed that I have now? Will that even help?
If your sand has never been turned, then don’t mess with it. Your sand will be full of crud which is going to cloud the water for the first week or two.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, mine did this when I first got him but in a short period he settled down. He has his cave with a front and back opening. Now my yellow tailed damsel will kick a sand storm quickly waving it tail in the sand. What’s up with that?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahahaha thats hilarious. The diamonds are bigger and for sure make messes! Thats hard cause the larger grain can cut their face up. I would leave it alone or remove him if its too bad to deal with. They usually calm down when they make their burrow, I have two watchmens and an engineer in one of my tanks.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started rinsing the filter floss every few hours and then changing it every day and that’s really helping. He still continues to make a mess but not as big and he is getting close to having his cave finished so hopefully when his construction is done, everything will settle down in haste

Attachments

• IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 52

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started rinsing the filter floss every few hours and then changing it every day and that’s really helping. He still continues to make a mess but not as big and he is getting close to having his cave finished so hopefully when his construction is done, everything will settle down in haste
Pity the poor crab or snail that ventures near its cave opening. I get a kick out of watching mine swim across the tank with a snail or hermit crab in its mouth and spit it out against the glass. It happens so fast I wish I could get a video of it.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i returned mine, I got tired of turkey basting sand off of corals. one of the pair was particularly annoyed at a scoly and kept on spitting sand at it

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine made a mess out of the sand the first 3-4 days. Having the roller matt helps tremendously. However, my sand is always spotless and when he does decide to move his cave or change the landscape, the sand is pristine.

a must have if you have sand imo.

there are some pains. He buries my corals and I sometimes have to move the coral

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pity the poor crab or snail that ventures near its cave opening. I get a kick out of watching mine swim across the tank with a snail or hermit crab in its mouth and spit it out against the glass. It happens so fast I wish I could get a video of it.
I would love to see that! That sounds hilarious!

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i returned mine, I got tired of turkey basting sand off of corals. one of the pair was particularly annoyed at a scoly and kept on spitting sand at it
I only have fish and live rock in this tank, so I don’t have to worry about that. I would never put one in a tank with any corals.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine made a mess out of the sand the first 3-4 days. Having the roller matt helps tremendously. However, my sand is always spotless and when he does decide to move his cave or change the landscape, the sand is pristine.

a must have if you have sand imo.

there are some pains. He buries my corals and I sometimes have to move the coral
My sand has never looked better, so I’m excited about the work he is doing for me. I just wish he was out and about more. Every time he sees me or hears me walking toward the tank he hides.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a turkey baster several times a day, but I believe I am near the end of that journey. I just did it and rinsed the filter floss and it was the least had it has been since I put him in there Saturday.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using a turkey baster several times a day, but I believe I am near the end of that journey. I just did it and rinsed the filter floss and it was the least had it has been since I put him in there Saturday.
yea the first few days were rough. Are you running an AIO or a cannister? You could try a internal polisher if there are still a lot of particulates

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand has never looked better, so I’m excited about the work he is doing for me. I just wish he was out and about more. Every time he sees me or hears me walking toward the tank he hides.
He is just getting used to the new territory. Mine is always out and about. He is not intimidated by me whatsoever. He bites me when I put my hand in the tank when it’s feeding time as if to get me to put the food in already. He’s a pig and I’m pretty sure he would eat a chicken nugget if I threw it in.
81A5F8CD-C2D2-4A0E-AB49-689E97FD88E8.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back