Diamond Goby - Over Active - Escape Artist !

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Diamond Watchman Goby and a Helfrichi Firefish to my QT yesterday. When I brought the Goby home, it was VERY active in the bag --- jumping around, etc. I figured that this guy might be a bit of a problem, so I made sure that the cover on the QT was secure. I had an eggcrate cover that fit very tightly. Just for good measure, I added a layer of 1/4" plastic mesh on the bottom of the eggcrate. I left extra mesh to fill-in all the little spaces around the HOB Filter.

After acclimation, the Goby was VERY active. I've never seen one so active. It seemed to be pretty intent on getting out of the tank. So, I added some weight to both ends of the cover (Red Sea Test Kits in their plastic boxes).

The QT is in our home office. Today, my wife happened to be at her desk when she heard some unusual flopping / splashing sounds. Yup, the Goby (now known as Houdini) had escaped the QT and was surfing the hardwood floor:
391ae96a-bd69-4bb0-9ea9-9292a8751b06_zpsxwwwcami.jpg

My wife was quick-thinking and got a photo of the little monster before scooping him up and putting him back into the QT. He appeared to be stunned ! But that lasted only a few minutes. Now there are books on top of the cover. We don't think there's any way for him to escape. But he is a determined fish.

We've got a Nest camera in front of the QT. The camera is public today ONLY ( March 20th 2017). Take a look a this crazy fish . . .

https://video.nest.com/live/vFTRfgyccP
There's some reflected light in the room making the right-hand side of the tank appear a bit hazy in the live video.

Enjoy !
---Frank

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckyescape. He was lucky your wife was there [emoji2] nice looking firefish. Goby was chilling when i watched there. He may have learned his lesson

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back