Diamond Watchman Goby Feeding

sketchers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. First time on R2R, just had a quick question about feeding my new Diamond Goby. I got him yesterday afternoon and he’s already been hard at work making his burrow. I was curious as to how I can ensure he’s getting enough food? I plan on getting some mysis shrimp tomorrow but as of now all I have is pellets. I can’t let them sink to the bottom because whenever I put pellets in the tank my two clowns destroy them, and my goby hasn’t been swimming upwards much at all. I tried to reach my hand in and put some pellets around his burrow but I’m not sure if he ate them or not because I had a hard time seeing the pellets in the sand. Are there any tools I should be using to help ensure the food gets to the right place? Any tips on how everyone fed their gobies? Thank you in advance!!!

OP
OP
S

sketchers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. First time on R2R, just had a quick question about feeding my new Diamond Goby. I got him yesterday afternoon and he’s already been hard at work making his burrow. I was curious as to how I can ensure he’s getting enough food? I plan on getting some mysis shrimp tomorrow but as of now all I have is pellets. I can’t let them sink to the bottom because whenever I put pellets in the tank my two clowns destroy them, and my goby hasn’t been swimming upwards much at all. I tried to reach my hand in and put some pellets around his burrow but I’m not sure if he ate them or not because I had a hard time seeing the pellets in the sand. Are there any tools I should be using to help ensure the food gets to the right place? Any tips on how everyone fed their gobies? Thank you in advance!!!
Just realized this wasn’t a “quick question”

Upvote 0

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a long thin tube baster style feeder . You can
B2A8BF4B-D29D-4BC4-B636-AEABAE9A98C1.png
get them on Amazon.

Upvote 0

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t do anything special for feeding my goby, dump food in and he gobbles it up.

Upvote 0

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby is just as active with feeding as my other fish, he is not shy about swimming around and grabbing food.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sketchers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goby is just as active with feeding as my other fish, he is not shy about swimming around and grabbing food.
Got it. He is hiding a lot as of now so I’m probably going to try and use one of those basters to put some shrimp or pellets in front of his burrow. Hoping that will do the trick

Upvote 0

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. He is hiding a lot as of now so I’m probably going to try and use one of those basters to put some shrimp or pellets in front of his burrow. Hoping that will do the trick
Hopefully he’ll come out of his shell so to speak. On an unrelated note, make sure you have a tight fitting screen top. These fish are known to go carpet surfing.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is important to have a well established sand bed that can provide enough nutrition. A new tank is not optimal. Should be at least 4-6 months old. That being said, mine eats like a pig and gets the most food in the water column. I’m pretty sure if I threw in a chicken nugget it would eat it. What part of Ohio are you in? O-H!

Upvote 0

Bigshrimpin6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has this been going?

I've recently added a diamond goby to my reef and I was planning on trying to use a tool like this to bury some assorted foods into the sand

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back