Did I kill my GSP?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers. I had some GSP shading Zoa I really like so I tore off some of their polyps/arms so that the mat was no longer inside the Zoa colony. They haven’t opened since then. Obviously I had to move them to a frag bucket to do this they’ve been closed since. Are they ok or did I kill them y’all think?

photos of them before attached. They started out as two hands/heads.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, they should recover. I had a nice patch of GSP and a longspine urchin went through it and ate half the polyps off. It recovered fully.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had gsp close for almost a month, then opened randomly. They throw tantrums when things bug them.

RMD_4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is probably one of the most resilient corals in my opinion. I had some that was growing on a rock that I didn’t want it on. Ended up relocating it and scratching the remaining small pieces with a knife. After a few weeks, a handful of GSP polyps starting popping back up in the same spot. I ended up having to put glue all over the spot to kill it completely. It’s pretty much the weed of this hobby, but I have to say, it makes for a great backdrop on an overflow box!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back