Did I mess up?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I bought an Ultra Rainbow Yuma from my LFS. I knew nothing about yumas and thought they would be just like my Rhodactis and Discosoma. This afternoon, I stumbled across a thread on the difficulty of acclimating yumas. Further research yielded many more results talking about hard it is to keep yumas, and I fear I’m going to quickly kill it. A bit more info about the purchase and acclimation:
The yuma was aquacultured by a LFS employee who grows a lot of mushrooms, zoas, and torches. It was one of a batch of eight he brought in a month ago. It probably hasn’t spent more than 50 minutes in a bag in any one stint. When I got it home, I floated it for 30 minutes, before placing it maybe a 1/2” above the sandbed, right next to a Superman Disco I got 3 weeks ago that is flourishing. This spot is receiving as much light as my one 30” Fluval bar light can put out, and is receiving decent flow. I broadcast feed brine shrimp nightly, and everything eats well. The aforementioned disco has almost doubled in size in the 3 weeks it’s been in the tank. Is there a chance the yuma will survive? Should I move it to a shadier spot?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your Yuma will be fine. They are very similar to Florida ricordeas in terms of care and requirements. I have numerous ricordeas that are flourishing at all light levels (low, mid and high) - including in many places you wouldn't think they'd thrive (right along the sand bed, in the partial shadow of a cave, etc.)

Do note that mushrooms prefer to be on rocks (even small ones) if you're going to place on the sand bed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back