Difference between octospawn and frogspawn.

slate744

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering if somebody could tell me the difference between octospawn and frogspawn besides the price? I've noticed that octospawn comes in a few different colors, but other than that they look the same to me.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are the same thing, just different names people use. And there are several different types of octo corals/fs.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
On my frogspawn there is a single bubble ( for lack of a better term) at the end of the fleshy stalk/tentacle.
On my octo, there are bubbles all down the length of the stalk/tentacles.

OP
OP
slate744

slate744

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that's what I thought. So what would you guys call this one
2y6e2aze.jpg

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octospawn seem to have much thicker polyps and more dots on them where frogspawn Kindve have the thinner ones with littler polyps branching from the bigger ones
Another way to look at it is if we're to be in sequence it would be torch to frog to octo

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is Octospawn having multi polys opposed to frog having single on each stem.

OP
OP
slate744

slate744

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was. I have a frogspawn and it doesn't have as man dots as the colony I just picked up. Plus this one is a nice platinum color. Here is pic now that it's fully opened up.
abequ8e6.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octospawn is just a name they give frogspawn that has fatter tentacles with more colored dots. As any frogspawn grows the tentacles will get longer and in respect get more dots. So the name has no real merit.

Mostly there were common two types of frogspawn. The opaque bodied with colored dots Euphyllia divisia. Common color green but other colors exist. Was called frogspawn since it looked like floating frogspawn with colored dots being the eggs joined by long streaming opaque goo.

The other type was opposite had a colored body with opaque dots Euphyllia paradivisia. This was called octopus coral. Since the green fatter tentacles looked like an octopus arm and the opaque dots were the suckers.

Now they just made a catch all called octospawn. Which has no real answer to why or which piece will be called octospawn. But is generally just a fatter tentacle euphyllia divisia. Has the coloring of frogspawn but the fatter tentacle of octopus coral. Just the two names together like Brad-jolina.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia paradivisia and davisia does not refer to the colors more of the wall and branching forms. Paradivisia can be opaque bodied as well as the divisia. It is just more associated as being true wall frogspawn.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tiny frogswan that is neon green with blueish tips. I was hoping to get one of those opague types and look like i didnt! The tentacles are short right now and kind of looks like an indo hammer I bought! I keep buying the ones I dont want by accident! I guess I need to ask more questions!

What is an indo hammer as opposed to other hammers. It has small tips I know that and was hoping for larger tip! My lfs has these sort of u shaped at the tip and they are really big. What are those type called? They usually read Hammer or branching hammer. The ones my lfs has are beautiful but large and pricey!

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you keep frogspawn and octospawn together or do they need space from each other?
You should be able to keep them together, octospawn, frogspawn, and hammers can touch. Only torches that used to be in the same family as euphyllia (even though the hobby calls them the same still) can't touch.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to keep them together, octospawn, frogspawn, and hammers can touch. Only torches that used to be in the same family as euphyllia (even though the hobby calls them the same still) can't touch.
Torches are still euphyllia. Hammers and frogs (and frammers, octos) are Fimbriaphyllia

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back