Dino creeps back after carbon dosing

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the dilemma. My nitrates are 35/40ppm and phosphate is 0.25. The system is 525L so large water changes take a while. The dinos go away, but then as soon as I carbon dose to bring down the nutrients, they start to creep back on the sand, a slight dusting. Forcing me to turn my UV back on and bubble scrub/ stir the sand.

Avoiding bio pellets and any carbon dosing is a given now, but how else can I strive my nutrients down and avoid dinos coming back?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's the dilemma. My nitrates are 35/40ppm and phosphate is 0.25. The system is 525L so large water changes take a while. The dinos go away, but then as soon as I carbon dose to bring down the nutrients, they start to creep back on the sand, a slight dusting. Forcing me to turn my UV back on and bubble scrub/ stir the sand.

Avoiding bio pellets and any carbon dosing is a given now, but how else can I strive my nutrients down and avoid dinos coming back?
Stop carbon dosing - and keep doing water changes... - or - decrease your carbon dosing.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets have been removed. Uv and bubble scrub turned back on. Hopefully they will go away again

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they primarily on the sand?
At its worst they were everywhere, but I hadn't seen them in weeks until I turned my biopellet reactor on and I have a light dusting on the sand in a few areas, so it was time to act fast.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed the light dusting is dinos with a microscope? I'm asking because maybe it's not dinos but something else such as diatoms.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed the light dusting is dinos with a microscope? I'm asking because maybe it's not dinos but something else such as diatoms.
No I have not put them under a mic, I believe they are because they reappear when I carbon dose. I had them pretty bad at one point. See pic. I just fall soft and carbon dose thinking they won't come back.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not put them under a mic, I believe they are because they reappear when I carbon dose. I had them pretty bad at one point. See pic. I just fall soft and carbon dose thinking they won't come back.

Attachments

• DSC_0522.JPG
    DSC_0522.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 144

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Carbon dosing is likely allowing Dino to feed. Coral foods and NoPox will do this also .
Check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to bring down your N and P? Were you having algae issues?

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to bring down your N and P? Were you having algae issues?
35/40 nitrate and 0.25 phos. Yeah slight bit of hair algae and film algae. Although I can live with this if it means no dino.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

imo your no3 is to high look for another method to constantly remove nutrients from you system like a cheato, cheato reactor algae scrubber. I had great results with nitrapohs minus once I dialed in the dose my system has been rock steady.

OP
OP
loweryphil

loweryphil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand its high, although nitraphos is a form of carbon dosing. Cheato it is.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35/40 nitrate and 0.25 phos. Yeah slight bit of hair algae and film algae. Although I can live with this if it means no dino.
I went ULN to try and prevent any visible algae....then boom dinos! Good luck!

Diver4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing is likely allowing Dino to feed. Coral foods and NoPox will do this also .
Check your phosphate and nitrate to assure levels aren’t elevated
Blow loose with a turkey baster. It will capture and clean more surface area. Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
VetteGuy - for the above advice, are you saying to just keep the tank lights off, and regular room lights are ok, or are you saying do a complete tank wrap/blackout for five days? Thanks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon dosing usually increases bacteria. I would guess you have cyano and not dinos.
Looking at your pic it is a little far but it looks more like cyano. Looks like it has a red tint.
Is it redish or brown?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
VetteGuy - for the above advice, are you saying to just keep the tank lights off, and regular room lights are ok, or are you saying do a complete tank wrap/blackout for five days? Thanks.
Either works- blackout best

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Carbon dosing usually increases bacteria. I would guess you have cyano and not dinos.
Looking at your pic it is a little far but it looks more like cyano. Looks like it has a red tint.
Is it redish or brown?
Carbon dosing fuels cyano and Dino. Last thing you want to do. Dino although golden brown can also be reddish brown

frankny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ULN to try and prevent any visible algae....then boom dinos! Good luck!
agreed!! i will def keep it what it's, let macros takinng care of it, slowly bring it down, don't dose any carbon at this moment, also don't drop your nutreits too low, cuz dino will take adventage of the situation of zero nutreints. good luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back