Dino X working in reverse

Discussion in 'Fauna Marin' started by DeeBee, Jul 8, 2015.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee Active Member R2R Supporter

@Fauna Marin @Montireef So last night I decided to inspect a new piece of dino that formed on the glass in less than a day. This time in the little drop of water I did find something moving. The first video I am fairly certain is some form of Dinoflagellates. It looks different than the majority of the green cells that I see and documented above but there were a few of them in the sample.

2. DeeBee

This second video is a interesting creature that I don't think is Dino, but was in that same drop of water:

3. Montireef

Montireef Member

Hi DeeBee.
    Those are ciliates, none of them are dinoflagellates.

4. Pants

Pants Member

But they often eat dinos.

Can you shoot some video of the non-moving small "dino" that is forming those thick mucous mats?

I've found that one dino makes thicker mucous mats. Its very small compared to the other pest dinos I've identified in people's tanks. I don't know what it is yet. I don't suppose you'd be up for a road trip to Maryland to share some of your snot? I'd like to do some dna sequencing on this strain so we'd finally have a genus to put to it.

5. DeeBee

Thank you Pants. I will try to shoot a video of them within the next day or so - I struggle with getting decent video since I don't have a digital eyepiece for my microscope.

Per my email yesterday I will try to get a sample to you for analysis. I appreciate you offering to do that.

@Montireef In the meantime I am going to try your "dirty" approach and see what happens. Unfortunately I don't have the UV I thought I had so will just see if boosting the other life within the tank will help along with siphoning.

6. Pants

Pants Member

some tips on taking photos with a microscope from my website:
    How to Take a Picture Through a Microscope Without an Attached Camera

You can take a picture through a microscope using a small point and shoot camera or the camera on a smart phone. Smart phone cameras prior to 2008 were very difficult to use with microscopes. The cameras on more recent phones are easier to use. First position your microscope so that you have space in front to rest your elbows. Hold your camera up to the oculars (the part of the scope you put your eye up to). Brace your arms on the table or a stack of books to help steady your hands. Do not hold the camera lens right up against the ocular of the microscope, but instead hold it back a short distance. If you watch someone else look through a microscope you will notice that their eye is 1-2 cm away from the actual lens. This is where you need to hold you camera. Watch the display on your camera and look for a bright circle. You need to move the camera so that the bright circle is centered and mostly fills your display. You will likely have a black circular border around the edge of your image. Video can often be more useful than still images when identifying algae so try taking both.

7. Bugger

Bugger Active Member

I have had dinos many times. I simply blackout the that for two days not completly just enough to darken the tank. And dose the product for a week. I have never got a micoscope to look and see what I have. but my method works I even had the same dinos you had the brown buggers. I have tried using the product with out the black out it diden't work

8. thormx

thormx Member

What product?

9. craigcolbert

craigcolbert Member

And do you do it daily?

10. Bugger

Bugger Active Member

Dino Algea x or whatever its called now a days. It is dosed every second day. With aa photo period of 10 hours blue 6 hours white. with no GAC, carbon, or zeolite

11. craigcolbert

craigcolbert Member

That's maximum lighting though isn't it? I have mine on for 7blue 6 white... Doesn't seem to be clearing any algae at all in mine lol

12. Bugger

Bugger Active Member

It dosen't actually make dino disapear like it does to green algae. you still have to remove it yourself. The two day black out will do wonders

13. craigcolbert

craigcolbert Member

It's green algae I have mainly what should I be looking for?

14. Jizu Puentes

Jizu Puentes Well-Known Member

With the dirty method how long should I leave the skimmer off and GFO out? I am trying the method on my 110 but i have a note to add about my 29 gallon in my bedroom. The 29 gallon was setup with some rock from the 110 and also broke out with dinoflagellates. This tank only housed a mandarin and i fed it mysis twice a day. I only did 5 gallon water changes once a month in this tank and the dino snot was eventually taken over by GHA and hasn't come back. Now I just have to get rid of the GHA and I am good to go.

15. Jax5on

Jax5on Member

I like the idea of the dirty method. Should i run carbon to remove any toxins released by the dino. This is my first time running into this problem. Please help!

16. mattstanks2016

mattstanks2016 Active Member

I run carbon, because the dinos can release toxin that will kill my snails and or copepod population.

Jax5on likes this.
  17. bo0sted2g

bo0sted2g Active Member Build Thread Contributor

following along! I am trying to decide my method of attack on my dino outbreak.

18. Bugger

Bugger Active Member

The blackouts are all that really work

19. bubbaque

bubbaque Never enough SPS R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Reef Tank 365

Hydrogen peroxide

20. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

FWIW this was chrysophytes. Not dinos. 3 day black out with 24 hours of GFO will cure it.

Draft saved Draft deleted