Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I h8 these beasties.

ddw.gif

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The problem with dinoflagellates is that they are :

Indiscriminate killers.
Balance has sweet FA to do with any of it.
They are as random as the tide they dwell in.
You think you have them beat. You don't. They are there always. Waiting. Not for an imbalance just for when. They choose not your mishap.
They will crop up again.

It's a perfect organism with an evolutionary clade containing over 2000 variants.

Osteo alone has tens if not hundreds of variations making the identification with a scope we do pointless

My tank was clean from a FRESH startup. Nothing introduced. And despite the best husbandry, balance and care. They took off and killed everything in two weeks .

Oh and this my dear friends I've dubbed the godfather strain. You see all the playing we have done has created a strain I've not come across before. It's anhilated the safe dinos in my tank that did slip in. See even with fresh water dips, iodine, coral Rx.....

It's immune to
Dino x

Metroplex (two tubs in three days)

High ph

Light (yes get this....it's adapted to blue light and can happily carry out photosynthesis in the 400nm range). In fact.....it's strings in the dark. Go figure!

Vibrant

He'll even tossed Ina full chemi clean for ***** and giggles.

I feel as we each try to irradiate them. We don't. Just make them harder, more resilient.

Guess what they call it.

Genetic modification. It's evolution if it's over a millennia.

That's right. Not just the mad scientist in us but the mor safe lets try some algae approach.

If this baby gets out there. You can kiss goodnight to everything. It's the most destructive yet, digesting a birds nest in three hours.

So no. Don't talk balance. My tank has been balanced, very nicely.

Hey sorry. I was just trying to share what worked for me. I've been finding theses things for like 5 years and was dreaming of the day I could share my success. I do believe different situations can have success. And for me balance definitely worked. Am sure it has for others. And clearly didn't work for your situation.

How did it go for you when controlling and monitoring Nitrate and Phosphate?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to sound as though I was suggesting what worked for you won't work for others. I was saying how much I loathe these things. I got so worked up last night seeing the birds nest die and now my SSC.

I hate them with a passion.

Sorry if I sounded as though was having a go as didn't mean it that way. I should re read my post before posting.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to siphon the dinos into a filter sock or blow them off into the water column? Or does it even matter?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my case the tank was well balanced. It's was a bit too low on nutrients so raised them. It was that along with warmer weather that brought them out. 10 days from a thriving tank to an absolute mess.

This is third tank In a decade now that's had them.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to siphon the dinos into a filter sock or blow them off into the water column? Or does it even matter?
Probably siphon them. Though I'm doing latter (unsuccessfully) at the moment.

Need to do some water tests later and see what's what.

I'm sooooooo fed up with these.

Jolanta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to sound as though I was suggesting what worked for you won't work for others. I was saying how much I loathe these things. I got so worked up last night seeing the birds nest die and now my SSC.

I hate them with a passion.

Sorry if I sounded as though was having a go as didn't mean it that way. I should re read my post before posting.
I really do understand you, I had those bad days wanting to throw it all to the trash and was angry with all the world seeing my corals dying and all the affort I put in my tank only to see it ugly. I think if I see them again in a new tank I will go fish only for some time with out fighting them, maybe one day they will decide to go away on its own, one thing I know I will newer add any chemicals to my tank again.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly still wish to apologise to @bh750 For sounding like a complete ****-hole.

Secondly I'd like to have a go at your method. If you could share your steps please.

I've lost a bird of paradise, grown from a 1inch *** to mini colony. A strawberry sc, hammer, and a Seratosa.

I've been dosing (heavy) vibrant daily, metroplex, garlic, prodibo, chemiclean (whole tub) p, My ph runs usually around 8.5
I noticed a few dead ones today (see vids). I've been letting them sit in their own crap for last 10 Days.

So today dumped remaining quarter bottle of vibrant, more garlic, fast swing of ph to 9.8, 21 days worth of metroplex in one go.....

Oh and did some siphoning.

Lights running blue plus uv-a.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly still wish to apologise to @bh750 For sounding like a complete ****-hole.

Secondly I'd like to have a go at your method. If you could share your steps please.

I've lost a bird of paradise, grown from a 1inch *** to mini colony. A strawberry sc, hammer, and a Seratosa.

I've been dosing (heavy) vibrant daily, metroplex, garlic, prodibo, chemiclean (whole tub) p, My ph runs usually around 8.5
I noticed a few dead ones today (see vids). I've been letting them sit in their own crap for last 10 Days.

So today dumped remaining quarter bottle of vibrant, more garlic, fast swing of ph to 9.8, 21 days worth of metroplex in one go.....

Oh and did some siphoning.

Lights running blue plus uv-a.
Let's see tomorrow.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see tomorrow.
Well that seemed to upset them considerably.

Pumps are now on export mode which is churning the sand a bit. hopefully keep as much in suspension for skimming as possible.

Truth be told I know it won't have got them all. I've been here before so many times.

Going to continue metroplex until course finished. Once done will slowly rebalance.

If I can keep detectable phosphate and nitrate at around 1-3ppm might have a chance.

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I order socks and floss.....Can I see some pictures of your syphoning set ups? I do not have a sump, so I would be syphoning straight from tank to a 5 gallon bucket. Oh and where can you buy munnid isopods?

Last edited:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I order socks and floss.....Can I see some pictures of your syphoning set ups? I do not have a sump, so I would be syphoning straight from tank to a 5 gallon bucket. Oh and where can you buy munnid isopods?
Never seen them for sale to be honest with you. Only ever had them as hitchhikers.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clip a maxijet onto a tank wall and blow it right into a sock also clipped. This seems to catch a lot.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like i've defeated dino twice now since february. I started of removing the sand which seems to be pretty key. After doing so i manually siphon it out with a 6 mm hose and add ~0.001 ppm KH2PO4 and 0.5 ppm KNO3 to the tank daily. I've now been dino free for about a month or so and wont add sand again until the system is fully functional and stable for atleast another month.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like i've defeated dino twice now since february. I started of removing the sand which seems to be pretty key. After doing so i manually siphon it out with a 6 mm hose and add ~0.001 ppm KH2PO4 and 0.5 ppm KNO3 to the tank daily. I've now been dino free for about a month or so and wont add sand again until the system is fully functional and stable for atleast another month.
You think you are dino free.... :O
It's the boogieman.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether now or after the restart I would suggest getting on a different track forward...

Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?
Dnt really think that thread is relative. Dinos will be back in mt new system once i started buying corals. I know for certain i ran into this issue when i made to huge of a fluctuation of nutrients within a very short period of time. I have a habbit of doing this as i did it in my last system but got them "beat" after 8 months. I dnt feel like waiting and putting the time and effort in again. Its easier to restart when you dont have corals.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Dino Nuke has been largely successful. Looking under scope now I see 1 to 2 cells per inch of sand as opposed to hundreds.

I guess the reason I've had so much trouble is I'm kicking at least four different species.

It's great considering I've bought frags from only two places and dipped et el as well as can be from each.

Quite honestly I'm now of the opinion they are that common in the hobby it would be like stopping aiptasia on live rock.

I've decided to add a chiller to my tank. In every instance they have bloomed during warm weather.

It won't kill em but may help flare ups. Which have proven very costly in the frags and colonies I've lost.

So did my nuking contribute towards coral death.

No it didn't they were already beyond saving in 10 short days.

Ironically the biggest trick I've see so far in all of this is that the calcium precipitation has messed them up no end.

Normally in 24hrs my pas filtering equipment would of had the water clear again. As this is a all in one the water literally goes around back of tank and in to main again. I've not tried too hard to filter i.e. Left skimmer lid off and just added some large pore sponge to catch dead snot.

Since I'm not pulling the precipitation out it's swirling in the tank like a snow storm. Doesn't appear to bothering fish but the dinoflagellates are really struggling. Any new snot is calcium-fied in minutes. It loses its stickiness and they literally choke.

I kalk slurried once and dosed sodium carbonate twice. Hit ph to around 9.8

Lighting is on for 6 hours. Blue led and uv.

The plan now is to leave it until weekend. I'll remove sand. Then do a full water change over. The dose phosphate and nitrate as per recommendations by people on here.

The penny has dropped. It's not the phosphate or nitrate killing them it's the fact it encourages other organisms which do.

And without that food source the dinos have free reign.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Dino Nuke has been largely successful. Looking under scope now I see 1 to 2 cells per inch of sand as opposed to hundreds.

I guess the reason I've had so much trouble is I'm kicking at least four different species.

It's great considering I've bought frags from only two places and dipped et el as well as can be from each.

Quite honestly I'm now of the opinion they are that common in the hobby it would be like stopping aiptasia on live rock.

I've decided to add a chiller to my tank. In every instance they have bloomed during warm weather.

It won't kill em but may help flare ups. Which have proven very costly in the frags and colonies I've lost.

So did my nuking contribute towards coral death.

No it didn't they were already beyond saving in 10 short days.

Ironically the biggest trick I've see so far in all of this is that the calcium precipitation has messed them up no end.

Normally in 24hrs my pas filtering equipment would of had the water clear again. As this is a all in one the water literally goes around back of tank and in to main again. I've not tried too hard to filter i.e. Left skimmer lid off and just added some large pore sponge to catch dead snot.

Since I'm not pulling the precipitation out it's swirling in the tank like a snow storm. Doesn't appear to bothering fish but the dinoflagellates are really struggling. Any new snot is calcium-fied in minutes. It loses its stickiness and they literally choke.

I kalk slurried once and dosed sodium carbonate twice. Hit ph to around 9.8

Lighting is on for 6 hours. Blue led and uv.

The plan now is to leave it until weekend. I'll remove sand. Then do a full water change over. The dose phosphate and nitrate as per recommendations by people on here.

The penny has dropped. It's not the phosphate or nitrate killing them it's the fact it encourages other organisms which do.

And without that food source the dinos have free reign.
So was most or all of your live stock dead and you just made a plan to make it more unbearable for anything else to live? Or was this a way to keep live stock(coral/fish) alive with the intent to kill off dinos?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back