Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What everyone using to get rid of dino and keep it gone. This thread is way to long for me to read it all. I see some mention of h2o2 but what's the guide lines on that

Michaelbacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
I had them too. Complete black out for a week and treated with fauna marin Dino X.

TripleDogDareYah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went away on its own... it was a horror for months no matter what I did. Then it just went away... I started dosing different pods and I think one of the species started eating it. It makes sense that something in the wild eats these things and it should be something tiny.

H2Ocorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had a problem with this when i first started my fish tank. It was actually pretty bad. But it ended up resolving itself after my tank accommodated for everything

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all guys reading this old thread, this method using H2o2 is obsolete, most likely won't work so instead you need to get rid of 0.00 nitrates and 0.00 phosphates philosophy.

If you can't keep nitrates above 0.00 then you have to slow your skimmer, reduce sump lights time, remove filtration socks / sponges, add KNO3 for nitrates, so basically 0.00 nitrates or phosphates means happy dinos.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h2o2.jpg

Let's goooooooooooooooooo

Rick Gaas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would share my experience with dinos here. I had tried the blackout period, dosing with peroxide and blackout. Dosed so peroxide daily to the point that I believe it was affecting some of my corals. Mainly the montis. None of these remedies seemed to work or only helped for a day or so. Ready to pack it in and break it all down. I randomly decided to use a UV sterilizer that I had laying around and never used. I put the UV sterilizer in my sump, blew the dinos off of my rocks and glass daily for about 2 weeks and then after about that 2 week period I came home from work, which is usually when that dinos are the worst and there were none. I haven't seen dinoflagellates in the tank in over 2 months. I still run the UV as precaution as I feel that is what knocked them out

What size UV? And how many gallons of water in the system?

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 25w on a 40 gallon breeder with a sump. Dino's were gone in a couple days and have not returned since January.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling Dino’s for a while now. Someone suggested I get a UV Sterilizer. So I purchased a 55w less than 24 hours later and I see almost no Dino growth!

I only have a 40gal with a 29 gal sump. The sterilizer is just about as long as my tank. One upside is while I’m running the UV I don’t have to run heaters...lol. It looks a bit strange mounted where it is but it was my only option. Plus I will be upgrading to a 75 or 90 within the next 6 months so everything will get changed around

The top of my tank is all broken down as well this was right after I got it mounted to the wall

249534DC-12EC-49AF-A7E8-1109D0C73BFC.jpeg

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a UV myself for this purpose. Wondering more specifically what worked for you....

What wattage, for what size tank, what was your flow rate and how many hours a day? Thanks!

1 watt for every 2 gallons of tank water. Flow rate at 200 gph running 24/7

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won my battle against cyano and dinoflagellates (toxic) by outcompeting these species.

Introducing phytoplankton, rotifers and pods regularly

Stopping dosing anything to the tank

Protein skimmer scum dosed back in to the tank

No water changes during the process

All the above worked for me

Continuous phytoplankton|rotifers reactor 24h food supply
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...reactor--24h-food-supply.526123/&share_type=t

This is the reactor I’ve build to outcompete the dinos at first but as I carry on using it I’ve seen more benefits in keeping it running permanently.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 25w on a 40 gallon breeder with a sump. Dino's were gone in a couple days and have not returned since January.
Were they the kind that dissappear at night and return durring the day? Mine are the slimy stringy brown bubbly ones that are there day and night.

Rob Tisdell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 day blackout and stopped vodka dosing. 20% water changes twice a week. 2 weeks later it is all gone. During this outbreak - Nitrates 0 Phosphates 0 . It doesn't make sense for the water changes to have an effect with my parameters but that is what I did and it worked for me.

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
Did you use the 3% concentration they sell for consumer use - or a different concentration?

Back