Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

JoaoTomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Finally (8 months later) I Won the battle!!!! ..by out competing dinos.

The main solution it's promote other live organisms thrive in the system, by raising nutrientes, dosing bacteria, and stop things like carbon dosing, trace elements and Water changes.

Last edited:

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
I have been battling Dino’s for a while now. Someone suggested I get a UV Sterilizer. So I purchased a 55w less than 24 hours later and I see almost no Dino growth!

I only have a 40gal with a 29 gal sump. The sterilizer is just about as long as my tank. One upside is while I’m running the UV I don’t have to run heaters...lol. It looks a bit strange mounted where it is but it was my only option. Plus I will be upgrading to a 75 or 90 within the next 6 months so everything will get changed around

The top of my tank is all broken down as well this was right after I got it mounted to the wall

View attachment 817185
what type is this UV? I would like to get one.
can it handle 200 gal?

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
what type is this UV? I would like to get one.
can it handle 200 gal?
I believe the exact brand is SunSun. But it’s similar to any of the 55w pond UV sterilizers you can buy. They are supposed to be good for 2000 gal ponds soooo.....

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
I tried Dino x, hydrogen peroxide and nothing is working. Dosing silicates now

Andy Kang

View Badges
Reaction score
Just I reduced my new coral into my tank anyone know what it is and why there is a clear sac or bubble there? The guy at my LFS was new and didn't know what it was and I'm wondering if it's an issue

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
I am in the dino fight now for over a month or so.

Did anyone find that Microbacter 7 helped PROMOTE Dinos? I am on day 9 of dosing and the dinos are worse than ever...much more since I started Microbacter.

Today I am buying more chemicals to raise Phosphate and Nitrates to try and help per suggestions...or buy Dino X.

Tried:
Blackout: 3x nope
Diatoms breakout: nope (may have not given enough time?)
Over feeding: nope
No water change in 6 weeks: Nope
Almost an entire bottle of H2O2, daily dosing for 3 weeks: nope
Lights on for a couple hours a day: nope...lost two corals and anenome is sick,
Coralife UV with new bulb for a month, blowing debris 3x daily: nope
Raised PH to 8.8: nope
Microbacter 7 for 9 days: nope (promoted it)

Next steps...dose to raise Phos and Nitrates....or buy Dino X...I will give it another month or so then take down and sell. I have a couple trips coming up, and being gone 2-4 days will likely destroy my tank if I can't stay on top of these things.

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
I am in the dino fight now for over a month or so.

Did anyone find that Microbacter 7 helped PROMOTE Dinos? I am on day 9 of dosing and the dinos are worse than ever...much more since I started Microbacter.

Today I am buying more chemicals to raise Phosphate and Nitrates to try and help per suggestions...or buy Dino X.

Tried:
Blackout: 3x nope
Diatoms breakout: nope (may have not given enough time?)
Over feeding: nope
No water change in 6 weeks: Nope
Almost an entire bottle of H2O2, daily dosing for 3 weeks: nope
Lights on for a couple hours a day: nope...lost two corals and anenome is sick,
Coralife UV with new bulb for a month, blowing debris 3x daily: nope
Raised PH to 8.8: nope
Microbacter 7 for 9 days: nope (promoted it)

Next steps...dose to raise Phos and Nitrates....or buy Dino X...I will give it another month or so then take down and sell. I have a couple trips coming up, and being gone 2-4 days will likely destroy my tank if I can't stay on top of these things.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
That's interesting, as I've found the same thing. What happened since your post @Wxguy23 ?

I got what appear to be Dinos after Nitrate and Phosphate dropped to zero (I wasn't doing anything aggressive to do this). I've stopped the little bit of GFO that I was running and I've been using Microbacter7. I've added my UV back into the system and popped an Oxydator in that I had laying around. I'm dosing Carbon but only 1ml per day in a net 480l system and I've got 2ml per day of Nitrate and Phosphate going into the system to try and raise them.

I don't want to do a blackout as the corals are quite pale due to the lack of nutrients.

gypsyboy38

View Badges
Reaction score
I struggled with mine for about 2 months. I bought one of the petsmart UVs on a whim and they went away after about 5-7 days.

Sashaka

View Badges
Reaction score
I added it several days in a row and saw the exact same results on my ORP meter every day I added it
OMG! This is off topic but... I'm slowly working my way through this thread with serious interest, curiosity, and hope when I read your signature comment: "Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg" Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Way to break my intense concentration!

LilElroyJetson

View Badges
Reaction score
Great thread! Lot's of helpful info in here!