Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

JoaoTomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally (8 months later) I Won the battle!!!! ..by out competing dinos.

The main solution it's promote other live organisms thrive in the system, by raising nutrientes, dosing bacteria, and stop things like carbon dosing, trace elements and Water changes.

Last edited:

IDAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling Dino’s for a while now. Someone suggested I get a UV Sterilizer. So I purchased a 55w less than 24 hours later and I see almost no Dino growth!

I only have a 40gal with a 29 gal sump. The sterilizer is just about as long as my tank. One upside is while I’m running the UV I don’t have to run heaters...lol. It looks a bit strange mounted where it is but it was my only option. Plus I will be upgrading to a 75 or 90 within the next 6 months so everything will get changed around

The top of my tank is all broken down as well this was right after I got it mounted to the wall

249534DC-12EC-49AF-A7E8-1109D0C73BFC.jpeg
what type is this UV? I would like to get one.
can it handle 200 gal?

Andy Kang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just I reduced my new coral into my tank anyone know what it is and why there is a clear sac or bubble there? The guy at my LFS was new and didn't know what it was and I'm wondering if it's an issue

1m64yx

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the dino fight now for over a month or so.

Did anyone find that Microbacter 7 helped PROMOTE Dinos? I am on day 9 of dosing and the dinos are worse than ever...much more since I started Microbacter.

Today I am buying more chemicals to raise Phosphate and Nitrates to try and help per suggestions...or buy Dino X.

Tried:
Blackout: 3x nope
Diatoms breakout: nope (may have not given enough time?)
Over feeding: nope
No water change in 6 weeks: Nope
Almost an entire bottle of H2O2, daily dosing for 3 weeks: nope
Lights on for a couple hours a day: nope...lost two corals and anenome is sick,
Coralife UV with new bulb for a month, blowing debris 3x daily: nope
Raised PH to 8.8: nope
Microbacter 7 for 9 days: nope (promoted it)

Next steps...dose to raise Phos and Nitrates....or buy Dino X...I will give it another month or so then take down and sell. I have a couple trips coming up, and being gone 2-4 days will likely destroy my tank if I can't stay on top of these things.

Wxguy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the dino fight now for over a month or so.

Did anyone find that Microbacter 7 helped PROMOTE Dinos? I am on day 9 of dosing and the dinos are worse than ever...much more since I started Microbacter.

Today I am buying more chemicals to raise Phosphate and Nitrates to try and help per suggestions...or buy Dino X.

Tried:
Blackout: 3x nope
Diatoms breakout: nope (may have not given enough time?)
Over feeding: nope
No water change in 6 weeks: Nope
Almost an entire bottle of H2O2, daily dosing for 3 weeks: nope
Lights on for a couple hours a day: nope...lost two corals and anenome is sick,
Coralife UV with new bulb for a month, blowing debris 3x daily: nope
Raised PH to 8.8: nope
Microbacter 7 for 9 days: nope (promoted it)

Next steps...dose to raise Phos and Nitrates....or buy Dino X...I will give it another month or so then take down and sell. I have a couple trips coming up, and being gone 2-4 days will likely destroy my tank if I can't stay on top of these things.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, as I've found the same thing. What happened since your post @Wxguy23 ?

I got what appear to be Dinos after Nitrate and Phosphate dropped to zero (I wasn't doing anything aggressive to do this). I've stopped the little bit of GFO that I was running and I've been using Microbacter7. I've added my UV back into the system and popped an Oxydator in that I had laying around. I'm dosing Carbon but only 1ml per day in a net 480l system and I've got 2ml per day of Nitrate and Phosphate going into the system to try and raise them.

I don't want to do a blackout as the corals are quite pale due to the lack of nutrients.

gypsyboy38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggled with mine for about 2 months. I bought one of the petsmart UVs on a whim and they went away after about 5-7 days.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it several days in a row and saw the exact same results on my ORP meter every day I added it
orp.gif
OMG! This is off topic but... I'm slowly working my way through this thread with serious interest, curiosity, and hope when I read your signature comment: "Sometimes I laugh so hard tears run down my leg" Hahahahahahahaha!!!! Way to break my intense concentration!

longtimereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????

Wonder if that will wipe out my algae scrubber... Probably will. but I gotta get rid of the stupid Dinos...

Jonathan Iu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different kinds of Dinos. It may have just worked on yours . But it may come back since it’s only a quick fix.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back