Dinoflagellates or Diatoms?

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been dealing with this for a very long time now with diatoms growing on my sand and I’ve even reduced lighting a lot and they still keep coming. Now I just decided to ask if anyone knew what was growing on my rocks and how I can get rid of them and maybe grow some corraline algae. I’m only running a canister filter for about 8 months now. I only have a couple of corals and Honeslty don’t know what I’m doing. image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6605.MOV
    19.8 MB

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been dealing with this for a very long time now with diatoms growing on my sand and I’ve even reduced lighting a lot and they still keep coming. Now I just decided to ask if anyone knew what was growing on my rocks and how I can get rid of them and maybe grow some corraline algae. I’m only running a canister filter for about 8 months now. I only have a couple of corals and Honeslty don’t know what I’m doing. image.jpg
From the video, it looks like there is no flow.
Also, are you using ro/di?
Looks like diatoms.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video, it looks like there is no flow.
Also, are you using ro/di?
Looks like diatoms.
I am using RODI, also I forgot to write that my rocks block the blow from the middle space. Also if you could help me with something else. Do you think this is a good spot for my Montipora,gonipora, and brain. I’ll add the pictures. I’m currently working on my sump right now. Everything that is here is what I built,

EAEB58FD-4AC7-4DC7-851E-B52480EE5C2B.jpeg 6F94D517-203A-4587-9B3E-FAE454511C8F.jpeg 48CF41D7-E11A-416E-ADFA-A567B7AF40B3.jpeg

Last edited:

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally think the monti should be higher than the brain in more lit region. You also look to have a lot of natural light coming from all sides of the tank, so not a deal breaker but any excess nutrients will give algae and diatoms a better chance with those far spectrum wavelengths.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it's too difficult to assess visually, because LCA dinos, and diatoms looks very similar to the naked eye. Buy a cheap microscope from amazon, take a sample, and you'll have your answer immediately.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way is with a microscope. I bought one from kohls for 40 dollars and did the trick just fine. If you have had the tank for a while, like 6 months or more, it is probably dinos. Diatoms quickly use up the silicate in our tanks in a month or two and die off. If this has been going on daily for a while its most likely dinos. Treatment cannot be assessed until you identify what species you have, which is why the microscope helps.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back