Dinoflagellates or Diatoms?

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been dealing with this for a very long time now with diatoms growing on my sand and I’ve even reduced lighting a lot and they still keep coming. Now I just decided to ask if anyone knew what was growing on my rocks and how I can get rid of them and maybe grow some corraline algae. I’m only running a canister filter for about 8 months now. I only have a couple of corals and Honeslty don’t know what I’m doing. image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6605.MOV
    19.8 MB

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’ve been dealing with this for a very long time now with diatoms growing on my sand and I’ve even reduced lighting a lot and they still keep coming. Now I just decided to ask if anyone knew what was growing on my rocks and how I can get rid of them and maybe grow some corraline algae. I’m only running a canister filter for about 8 months now. I only have a couple of corals and Honeslty don’t know what I’m doing. image.jpg
From the video, it looks like there is no flow.
Also, are you using ro/di?
Looks like diatoms.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video, it looks like there is no flow.
Also, are you using ro/di?
Looks like diatoms.
I am using RODI, also I forgot to write that my rocks block the blow from the middle space. Also if you could help me with something else. Do you think this is a good spot for my Montipora,gonipora, and brain. I’ll add the pictures. I’m currently working on my sump right now. Everything that is here is what I built,

EAEB58FD-4AC7-4DC7-851E-B52480EE5C2B.jpeg 6F94D517-203A-4587-9B3E-FAE454511C8F.jpeg 48CF41D7-E11A-416E-ADFA-A567B7AF40B3.jpeg

Last edited:

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would normally think the monti should be higher than the brain in more lit region. You also look to have a lot of natural light coming from all sides of the tank, so not a deal breaker but any excess nutrients will give algae and diatoms a better chance with those far spectrum wavelengths.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, it's too difficult to assess visually, because LCA dinos, and diatoms looks very similar to the naked eye. Buy a cheap microscope from amazon, take a sample, and you'll have your answer immediately.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way is with a microscope. I bought one from kohls for 40 dollars and did the trick just fine. If you have had the tank for a while, like 6 months or more, it is probably dinos. Diatoms quickly use up the silicate in our tanks in a month or two and die off. If this has been going on daily for a while its most likely dinos. Treatment cannot be assessed until you identify what species you have, which is why the microscope helps.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back