OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my dinos have grown thick - the only notable change was I am late on another 20% water change. I can't imagine that hurting things, unless it is limiting the resources that beneficial organisms need to compete against the dinos.

Some of my coral are really thriving though, specifically all my LPS...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my dinos have grown thick - the only notable change was I am late on another 20% water change. I can't imagine that hurting things, unless it is limiting the resources that beneficial organisms need to compete against the dinos.

Some of my coral are really thriving though, specifically all my LPS...
Glad to hear the LPS are looking up. LC amphids are a long slog.

Did you -- or can you -- add some live rock to your sump or display? Are you still adding some bacteria each week?

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear the LPS are looking up. LC amphids are a long slog.

Did you -- or can you -- add some live rock to your sump or display? Are you still adding some bacteria each week?
I did add around 1.5 lbs of LR a few months ago. I am not dosing any bacteria, just reef roids + phyto once a day, then mysis every 2-3 days.

I have microbac7... should I dose that and if so how much would y'all suggest?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add around 1.5 lbs of LR a few months ago. I am not dosing any bacteria, just reef roids + phyto once a day, then mysis every 2-3 days.

I have microbac7... should I dose that and if so how much would y'all suggest?

Are you dosing silicates? Diatoms are a very effective competitor for amphidinium.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing silicates? Diatoms are a very effective competitor for amphidinium.
I was dosing silicates for a few weeks, very heavily - with no visible results. My silicates were super high according to my ATI test kit a few weeks ago. One thing I haven't tried is weekly water changes + silica dosing. I was doing zero water changes while dosing.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a big observable diatom bloom? If not I would keep dosing silicates. Even if you do I would keep dosing at a lower level. Amphidinium and prorocentrum take a long time to fix! Be patient.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a big observable diatom bloom? If not I would keep dosing silicates. Even if you do I would keep dosing at a lower level. Amphidinium and prorocentrum take a long time to fix! Be patient.
Thank you. I don't think I have observable diatoms. These are clearly retreating into the sandbed at night so. I am going to resume water changes (life got crazy), and then may add back the silica dosing. I was making progress, so I think I should replicate that.

My theory is that the water changes contain trace resources for diatoms or competing organisms to outgrow the dinos.

Can anyone clarify the bacteria dosing? Should I use microbac7, just follow the label?

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB
@taricha

Well I think I can say I finally 'beat dinos' for the most part. They very lightly become visible, and not every day.

How did I do it? Basically I just ignored it instead of obsessing over it. Kept water parameters in check, leaned towards the 'dirtier' side of water, did normal water changes. And about 8-9 months later, here we are :cool:

Also seemed to help when I did a good clean up crew replenish.

Thanks for everyone's help here along the way!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScottB
@taricha

Well I think I can say I finally 'beat dinos' for the most part. They very lightly become visible, and not every day.

How did I do it? Basically I just ignored it instead of obsessing over it. Kept water parameters in check, leaned towards the 'dirtier' side of water, did normal water changes. And about 8-9 months later, here we are :cool:

Also seemed to help when I did a good clean up crew replenish.

Thanks for everyone's help here along the way!
Good to hear. Sounds like it may have been sand based LC Amphidinium which is not very toxic at all. For "newer" tanks, I often recommend just that. Ignore it. Few seem content with that guidance. :)

With enough nutrient and otherwise stable parameters, nature has a way of settling things down if we are patient enough.

OP
OP
bearman88

bearman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. Sounds like it may have been sand based LC Amphidinium which is not very toxic at all. For "newer" tanks, I often recommend just that. Ignore it. Few seem content with that guidance. :)

With enough nutrient and otherwise stable parameters, nature has a way of settling things down if we are patient enough.
Well said. If there's one hobby that teaches patience, it's reef keeping!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back