Dipping In CoralRX and Iodine?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first coral recently, a hammer coral, and want to make sure I properly dip the coral before placing it in the tank. I have read about dipping in CoralRX as well as dipping in Lugol's iodine solution and have several questions:

(1) Should I do both back to back? If so, should I start with the CoralRX and then with the Lugol's?

(2) Do I rinse the coral off in between each dip, or is it fine to go from the CoralRX into the Lugol's (or vice versa)?

(3) After dipping and rinsing, should I drip acclimate before adding to the tank?

(4) How on earth do I keep up the temperature of the water throughout all of this?

Thank you!

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the coral damaged? I was under the impression iodine was mainly for coral injury’s where as coral RX helps more with pests. Can’t fully answer the iodine part but have had good success with coral RX doing the following and is what I see many doing.

Float the bag in tank for 5-10 to temp acclimate, no drip. Mix solution of coral rx according to instructions, making sure water is close to tank temp. Add corals to solution for the 10 min or so making sure water moves around, quick swish in another bucket of tank water to remove the RX and into the tank they go. Keeping water around the same temp is easy as the process is so fast but honestly 1-2 degrees is not life or death. I don’t quarantine my corals but if you do after using the RX you could probably wait a few days and iodine dip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back