Discoloration and flaking on Dragonface Pipefish

GoniswiththeWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Just got a quarantined pair of dragon faced pipefish last Thursday. Both were wrapping around each other, moving around the tank and eating pods/frozen Mysis. Yesterday the larger one stopped moving around as much, wasn’t eating even though I could see pods in front of it and it had some discoloration on its body. Today, same story but the discoloration seems to have spread and now looks a little flaky.

Any ideas on what I’m dealing with and how to treat? I’ve emailed the vendor but he’s out of town for a few days.

Only antibiotic I have around is cipro.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,

Just got a quarantined pair of dragon faced pipefish last Thursday. Both were wrapping around each other, moving around the tank and eating pods/frozen Mysis. Yesterday the larger one stopped moving around as much, wasn’t eating even though I could see pods in front of it and it had some discoloration on its body. Today, same story but the discoloration seems to have spread and now looks a little flaky.

Any ideas on what I’m dealing with and how to treat? I’ve emailed the vendor but he’s out of town for a few days.

Do not treat anything right now as they are sensitive. Generally sluggishness associated with water quality or starvation. They also must be fed frequently and can be challenging although eating. They constantly hunt for food and when that behavior stops, its not a good sign. Red tigger pods seem to grab rtheir attention quickly.
because they are avid hunters, An abundance of live rock is mandatory for their survival.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Tough to say what this is, a photo and short video might help. The reality is though, gross visual symptoms may not be enough to identify the issue. Could be bacterial or protozoal. Unlikely to be environmental as both fish would likely be affected equally.
Jay

OP
OP
GoniswiththeWind

GoniswiththeWind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say what this is, a photo and short video might help. The reality is though, gross visual symptoms may not be enough to identify the issue. Could be bacterial or protozoal. Unlikely to be environmental as both fish would likely be affected equally.
Jay
Whatever it is it is definitely spreading fairly quickly

Attachments

• 4C3D2F95-58DC-434A-8F19-C7D229112BB8.jpeg
    4C3D2F95-58DC-434A-8F19-C7D229112BB8.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 706AF171-0552-41B9-A17C-BB4BC6DA2E88.jpeg
    706AF171-0552-41B9-A17C-BB4BC6DA2E88.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2632.MOV
    19.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, it didn’t make it. Still interested in anything worth doing to protect the other one that still seems normal

Given the speed of the infection, I would hazard to guess this was Uronema. Seahorses and pipefish are prone to developing external Uronema. It can be treated with formalin, but of course, pipefish are delicate and don't tolerate that well.

Uronema is a widespread protozoan found in many aquariums. It normally just eats bacteria. For some unknown reason, on some newly acquired fish, it starts to invade the fish's tissues. I can't say if the other pipefish will develop the same issue, but it may not.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back