IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
I've had my tank up and running for roughly 9 months. Fish are: niger trigger, scopas tang, two scooter blennies, two midnight clowns, two perc clowns, damsel, jeweled puffer and cleaner wrasse. I added a white cheek tang 6 weeks ago. Other than the tail slapping for hiding space rights between the WCT and Scopas, and WCT and Trigger, there have been no issues. Five days ago I noticed a couple white spots on my WCT and immediately thought Ich. However he sleeps in the sand so I was hopeful. Two days later I noticed a wound near his tail. I thought the trigger nipped him. A day later the wound looked infected... possibly fungal. He was still eating and swimming fine. While I went out to get meds, the WCT died. Yesterday I noticed my midnight clowns had white spots, and some fuzzy stuff going on. My other clowns are showing white spots, and so is my trigger. I gave my midnight clowns a freshwater dip and they had skin fall off and they now look worse. Scopas tang, wrasse, puffer, and blennys are all (knock on wood) symptomless (to my eye). I want to treat everyone but I need advice on what they have and what I should be treating with. These are pics of the WCT the day he died, and my clowns and trigger last night.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
I've had my tank up and running for roughly 9 months. Fish are: niger trigger, scopas tang, two scooter blennies, two midnight clowns, two perc clowns, damsel, jeweled puffer and cleaner wrasse. I added a white cheek tang 6 weeks ago. Other than the tail slapping for hiding space rights between the WCT and Scopas, and WCT and Trigger, there have been no issues. Five days ago I noticed a couple white spots on my WCT and immediately thought Ich. However he sleeps in the sand so I was hopeful. Two days later I noticed a wound near his tail. I thought the trigger nipped him. A day later the wound looked infected... possibly fungal. He was still eating and swimming fine. While I went out to get meds, the WCT died. Yesterday I noticed my midnight clowns had white spots, and some fuzzy stuff going on. My other clowns are showing white spots, and so is my trigger. I gave my midnight clowns a freshwater dip and they had skin fall off and they now look worse. Scopas tang, wrasse, puffer, and blennys are all (knock on wood) symptomless (to my eye). I want to treat everyone but I need advice on what they have and what I should be treating with. These are pics of the WCT the day he died, and my clowns and trigger last night.
Wow. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Glad to have you here though and we will do what we can to help. Just wish it were under better circumstances!

You have a bunch of challenges to deal with and none of them will be easy. You are correct in that your fish have Ich. That is probably the least of your concerns right now. I can't confirm it based on these pictures, but it is also possible that your fish have Velvet. Fortunately, the same treatments for Velvet will also take care of Ich. The "skin falling off" the clowns sounds like Brook. As if that isn't enough, you are definitely dealing with infections, probably from the parasites you are dealing with.

I think you should read over these threads and try to match them up with what you are seeing.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree^ I think you are going to need to give all fish an acriflavine bath and move them to a QT. They will need copper or cp, and a full course of antibiotics. Kanaplex+Metroplex+furan-2

The metroplex will also help address brook. The acriflavine bath helps with brook and infections as well, and can be done again a day or two later if needed to help keep symptoms at bay until the meds kick in.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it might take a little work and meds but you could still save them!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up and running for roughly 9 months. Fish are: niger trigger, scopas tang, two scooter blennies, two midnight clowns, two perc clowns, damsel, jeweled puffer and cleaner wrasse. I added a white cheek tang 6 weeks ago.
Other than the tail slapping for hiding space rights between the WCT and Scopas, and WCT and Trigger, there have been no issues. Five days ago I noticed a couple white spots on my WCT and immediately thought Ich.

Hopefully you'll get some meds to help with the symptoms. You'll have much better luck taking it much more slowly going forward.

Please be sure to also check out Aquarium Nutrition forum and Fish Discussion forum since the focus here is on meds and treatment.

OP
OP
neson

neson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man! This isn't good. I've been in the hobby for about 3 years and have only had a small bout of ich which took 4 of my fish. (My cat pulled the air hose out of the qt tank and they suffocated). So this is the most that I've had to deal with. I'm heading out to try to find the recommended meds now. Unfort. my area is down to a creature comforts (similar to petco) and one LFS, and they rarely carry anything other than cheap stuff like tetra ich treatment. Will keep you updated on results. Thank you all for the input.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the bad news. You've gotten the best advice here. I agree with velvet and a very bad infection on top. I hope you get the meds in time! Best of luck.

OP
OP
neson

neson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So, I ended up losing one midnight clown and one percula. On Friday it will be two weeks since the initial treatment of meds and copper. All of the remaining fish looked great, no spots or other visible signs of disease. The trigger hides all day now, in the dt he would be out swimming constantly. Yesterday I lost a scooter blenny... I don't think it was eating. I actually don't see most of them eating, but they must be since they are still alive. My main concern now is my Scopas. It's had beautiful dark yellow coloring. Today, I noticed it's pretty pale. I checked for amonia and it's at 0. I checked for nitrites and I didn't even have to wait one minute (of the 5 min test)... my nitrites are super high. I just siphoned the bottom of the tank to get uneaten food... my first question is how to lower nitrites without reducing the amount of copper(water change) ? My second question is, how do I get my Scopas to eat again? It used to eat up everything like PAC man. Now, I see nothing getting eaten. I even switched the nori from the veggie clip to a piece of rubble rock, and no difference.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Nitrite test will probably be giving you inaccurate readings since there is copper in the water. I wouldn't put much weight in those results. However, you can go ahead and do a water change. In fact, it would be a good idea to transfer the fish into a non-medicated (sterile) QT tank that is at least 10 feet away from the one they are in. This would mean (if the copper levels have been therapeutic the entire two weeks for sure) that you could stop copper and hopefully get the fish eating again.

If you decide to just do a water change at this junction, then be sure to dose the copper in the new water before adding it to the QT.

OP
OP
neson

neson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have my one QT.... would I be able to do a 75% water change in that and replace the carbon to get the rest of the copper out? I can seed it with a filter pad from a different DT that is (from what I can tell) disease free.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have my one QT.... would I be able to do a 75% water change in that and replace the carbon to get the rest of the copper out? I can seed it with a filter pad from a different DT that is (from what I can tell) disease free.

That won't do it unfortunately. If you want to stop the copper right now, transferring into a sterile QT is KEY. Otherwise you'll need to continue the copper treatment for another two weeks and attempt different methods of getting the fish to eat. Live foods may be next on the list.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If working with only 1 QT, I recommend 2 more weeks of copper treatment. You can only cut copper treatment short if you have a 2nd tank to work with, that is at least 10 feet away. As @melypr1985 stated.

jinbing0905

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If working with only 1 QT, I recommend 2 more weeks of copper treatment. You can only cut copper treatment short if you have a 2nd tank to work with, that is at least 10 feet away. As @melypr1985 stated.
Why ten feet away? I don't understand? How they come up with the number

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull all your inverts out and drop salinity to 1.009 immediately might save your fish. You are at a quite late stage of ich break and days delayed will likely cause death. Also get a Milwaukee digital refractometer. Trust me it will save you tons of time and effort. If you have doubts there is a video on YouTube hosted by R2R aborting using hypo to treat ich.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So, I ended up losing one midnight clown and one percula. On Friday it will be two weeks since the initial treatment of meds and copper. All of the remaining fish looked great, no spots or other visible signs of disease. The trigger hides all day now, in the dt he would be out swimming constantly. Yesterday I lost a scooter blenny... I don't think it was eating. I actually don't see most of them eating, but they must be since they are still alive. My main concern now is my Scopas. It's had beautiful dark yellow coloring. Today, I noticed it's pretty pale. I checked for amonia and it's at 0. I checked for nitrites and I didn't even have to wait one minute (of the 5 min test)... my nitrites are super high. I just siphoned the bottom of the tank to get uneaten food... my first question is how to lower nitrites without reducing the amount of copper(water change) ? My second question is, how do I get my Scopas to eat again? It used to eat up everything like PAC man. Now, I see nothing getting eaten. I even switched the nori from the veggie clip to a piece of rubble rock, and no difference.

I am always strongly against copper for treating ich. Wish I had seen this thread earlier and suggested hypo. Sorry for your loss.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull all your inverts out and drop salinity to 1.009 immediately might save your fish. You are at a quite late stage of ich break and days delayed will likely cause death. Also get a Milwaukee digital refractometer. Trust me it will save you tons of time and effort. If you have doubts there is a video on YouTube hosted by R2R aborting using hypo to treat ich.
Unfortunatly it doesn't look like ich, so hypo won't work.

LuckyPhil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.
This is why I always QT new fish, I actually start with TTM and monitor for another month.
One fish is not worth risking your whole DT and then going fallow for 76 days....

I hope its not to late to save the rest of your fish.
Good luck fellow reefer.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it? Marine velvet? I can't really tell but looks more like ich to me.
Spots look more like velvet, there are too many small spots that look like salt spread over the fish. Which will be several spots that are larger and less spread than the pictures.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back