Diving In Peacock Mantis Shrimp First :)

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see build threads by clicking on the “build thread” banner if they have one. My mantis build is on my banner. If would like to see my little guy. Named him “one punch”.
1621832923131.gif
I love fandom names. And thanks for the tip! I saw in the welcome email that you can do that. That will be my next learning curve on here.

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! I love mantis shrimp, thats a beautiful peacock. This is my smithii mantis named Scyther
I checked out your build, sorry about your crash, but looks like the bounce back is doing good. Can you try to post the video again? Nothing loaded? That’s the purple spotted mantis? Right?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your build, sorry about your crash, but looks like the bounce back is doing good. Can you try to post the video again? Nothing loaded? That’s the purple spotted mantis? Right?
Heres one from my instagram and yeah theyre commonly referred to as a purple spotted mantis. Hes not in the tank from my build thread though.

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres one from my instagram and yeah theyre commonly referred to as a purple spotted mantis. Hes not in the tank from my build thread though.

Thanks! He’s great! I can’t wait for those sounds to come from my tank. Just a few more days of cycling to go (fingers crossed) and I can bring Calypso home. How long have you had Scyther?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! He’s great! I can’t wait for those sounds to come from my tank. Just a few more days of cycling to go (fingers crossed) and I can bring Calypso home. How long have you had Scyther?
Yours will be doing it soon enough haha. And ive had him about 6 months now.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe one day down the road ... the smaller ones don’t need much
I have a 110, a 75, a 20, a 15, a 10, and a 5. I also have a Pico going to work when everything opens back up and I'm allowed to sit at my desk again...

She already said no new tanks. :p

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I’ve heard that some see their own reflection and break the glass tho lol
I have read a lot of warnings and tips on how to help avoid tank breaks. This one is a little older and hasn’t had any incidents, so hoping i have the same luck. My biggest worry is that one of my cats figure out how to peek in from the side and Calyspo sends a warning tap to the glass to scare the cat off. There is nothing around the tank for the cats to stand on, but cats are magical creatures who can stretch, bend, and levitate. Lol

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing around the tank for the cats to stand on, but cats are magical creatures who can stretch, bend, and levitate. Lol
True.
Nice I’ve heard that some see their own reflection and break the glass tho lol
If you can find a mantis video of one breaking something other than a thin wine glass, I would love to see it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
Hubs and I are auquaholics. We did ALL of our dating at aquariums, Sea World, the Florida Keys, beaches, diving ... water was always involved. We even got married at the Florida Aquarium. We pursued careers in wildlife rehabilitation and care, and now my health has declined to where going to various dive sites, aquariums, and such must take a pause. So we are bringing God’s beauty to us. A local vendor had a peacock mantis shrimp and up till we saw that beauty we had gone back and forth on getting a tank. Well, we’ve started. And hopefully, this is the start of a beautiful hobby. Looking forward to sharing the ups and downs that is a reef and mantis tank. I’ve attached a picture of my tank that is now two weeks into cycling and a picture of Calypso (About 6 inches) in her temporary home while she waits for her forever home to finish doing its thang.
EFEC3C5B-AAE8-4636-9588-57A9CA0CC964.jpeg
270C5E80-15EE-409B-A829-22F87AB33C9A.jpeg
Welcome!

Glad you joined - nice photos

OP
OP
DapperCuttlefish

DapperCuttlefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
Hubs and I are auquaholics. We did ALL of our dating at aquariums, Sea World, the Florida Keys, beaches, diving ... water was always involved. We even got married at the Florida Aquarium. We pursued careers in wildlife rehabilitation and care, and now my health has declined to where going to various dive sites, aquariums, and such must take a pause. So we are bringing God’s beauty to us. A local vendor had a peacock mantis shrimp and up till we saw that beauty we had gone back and forth on getting a tank. Well, we’ve started. And hopefully, this is the start of a beautiful hobby. Looking forward to sharing the ups and downs that is a reef and mantis tank. I’ve attached a picture of my tank that is now two weeks into cycling and a picture of Calypso (About 6 inches) in her temporary home while she waits for her forever home to finish doing its thang.
Davy Jones Locker has been stocked with a couple of nibblies in preps for Calypso coming home this weekend. The tank has finished its initial cycling and everything is looking great! Hopeful the couple of snails and Blue legged hermit crabs will be a nice little welcome buffet. Along with some new furniture for her to rearrange as she sees fit. My goal is that she goes from “oh no! Some place new and unfamiliar!” To “ ooooo foood! Nice digs!” In no time flat.
Side question: any thoughts on a good back up aerator that would sense when power goes out and turn itself on? Thanks! Will post again when there is a mantis in the tank!
CDA7074F-5122-44E6-A9FB-03B484F94315.jpeg
88F8D668-9A7B-49EC-BECB-917E0037CA70.jpeg

thatone08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,
Welcome! My Son has been begging for a mantis shrimp lol. Every time we go to the LFS he asks them to feed them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back