DIY AI Blade mount help

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a fancy fijicube 22.4g build. It has a kessil and the AI Blade so I need my blade mounted about 4-5 inches off the water to prevent shadows. I just asked BRS support and the blade mounts still have no expected date.

I am considering buying the orphek aura tank mount (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aura-acrylic-mounting-arms-orphek.html)
It uses an aluminum extrusion like rail on the top of their LED bars. Is there any good way I could attach a 1 sided aluminum extrusion rail to the top of the AI Blade. Perhaps in a way the conducts heat well so it doesn't overheat.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. Extrusions are really versatile..
I just buy a 10 series to attach the arms to like it is the light. Then I add 2 blocks with m8 holes on the ends to attach on both ends of the blade. Attach the top of those blocks to the rail I made above. Wala I can move it side to side and even spin to angle it.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought up the idea. I am considering buying the parts now. $33 for the extrusion parts and then $55 for the Aura mount. Is an expensive option but might work really well. I will update if/when i buy.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh i see, just use the arms from the aura mount to connect to the extrusion?

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, using the m8 holes on the end of the blade. Not too complicated if you know extrusions.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a fancy fijicube 22.4g build. It has a kessil and the AI Blade so I need my blade mounted about 4-5 inches off the water to prevent shadows. I just asked BRS support and the blade mounts still have no expected date.

I am considering buying the orphek aura tank mount (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aura-acrylic-mounting-arms-orphek.html)
It uses an aluminum extrusion like rail on the top of their LED bars. Is there any good way I could attach a 1 sided aluminum extrusion rail to the top of the AI Blade. Perhaps in a way the conducts heat well so it doesn't overheat.

Any Ideas?
Blade has holes for m8 screws.
Bracket has matching holes in the side
The 2 may just fit depending on bar length, hole size ect. Blades look pretty thin, may fit under the top bar piece.
Not sure of the stability but seems it would be no different for an extrusion.

If the bars are designed well no added heat sinking would be necessary. Doesn't hurt of course.

232773-orphek-aura-mountingarms-lighting-cv1.jpg

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to avoid spending another $80 on mounting so I haven't pulled the trigger. The elevated tank mount AI makes looks too nice. It doesn't have anything on the inside of the tank so you wouldn't have to design the lid around it. I don't want to have the acrylic arms hanging down the side of my tank too but I am still considering it.

I did email AI again about the blade mounts and all they said is 'coming soon'.. super useless... I am going to start emailing them like every other day. maybe I can motivate them...

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advertised mounting options durnit!!!

If they'd tell me something more than coming soon I could decide if it's worth the wait..

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was advertised mounting options durnit!!!

If they'd tell me something more than coming soon I could decide if it's worth the wait..

I’m right there with you. Super odd to tout all these great mounting options and then have none of them available at release.

I have 3 Blades sitting here that need to be mounted but I haven’t had time to figure out and DIY something. Sure would be nice to just buy the hanging kit they are advertising!

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$47 - Orphek arms
$15 - Extrusion, corner brackets, and m4 nuts
$15 - shipping for extusion, brackets, and nuts

$77 for mounting arms

Seems like it would be sturdy but it might be bulky too.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the price after the clips($8.50)+ HMS rail($55)+ hanging kit($42.50) is even more than the $77 for my idea.

It would probably look nicer but mine would be easier to adjust.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on one hms and the clips for my 24” tank. Not sure how high to mount them tho. Just worried about still being able to look down in a rimless tank.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning on one hms and the clips for my 24” tank. Not sure how high to mount them tho. Just worried about still being able to look down in a rimless tank.

The Blades have a very large sweet spot for mounting heights. Anything between 1-9” seems to work well with good spread and few hotspots

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed a lot of flex in the fixtures. Mainly looking at the 21”. I want to just use one clip in the middle on that HMS mount. Not sure that will work tho.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is only 12 inches. it is stiff though I think you would be fine. Hopefully someone chimes in.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the orphek arms and extrusion stuff. I will report back when I have it setup. hopefully.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back