DIY AI Blade mount help

DaveC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Funny how they are in stock right after I built mine!!!
The orphek arm adaptation I made is much better in the end.
I cut the clamps off it so it just rests on the edge now. It is convenient.
I can also adjust the height/angle now too.
Always happens like that ;) I do like how you can adjust the angles with yours

bullseyereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just under 6". But I made an adjustment and attached my Primes to the brackets as well. This caused the front to have a slight tilt, but it's not very noticeable.

20230226_074807.jpg

20230226_074757.jpg
Did the blade clips come with the blade? Or did you order them separately?

Alsteezy1st

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the blade clips come with the blade? Or did you order them separately?

Mine originally came with the low profile tank mounts. I believe the 39 inch + come with the clips. I ordered the clips from BRS.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it out. Extrusions are really versatile..
I just buy a 10 series to attach the arms to like it is the light. Then I add 2 blocks with m8 holes on the ends to attach on both ends of the blade. Attach the top of those blocks to the rail I made above. Wala I can move it side to side and even spin to angle it.
Can you share a picture of the mount you made. I think it would help a lot of us.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a picture of the mount you made. I think it would help a lot of us.
I did decide to try it and I ordered the parts. I updated the thread with pictures on page 2 near the bottom in the thread.

You could connect the Blade to the orphek arms in a lot of ways but this is what I did. If I was using the orphek arms for a longer Blade light I would buy the clips from BRS instead of using the m8 mounting holes on the ends.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the other option, with the current arms, will work for you I would go that route. The pictures look really nice but I haven't tried it and mine has it's advantages. If you need it mounted on the sides of the aquarium or if you want to be able to move the bar wherever/however high you want (as long as your lid permits) use the orphek arms. It is sturdy and works. I think it just feels a bit bulky for my 12" blade.

Last edited:

troutbum17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mean to pivot this thread, but it seems like there are a fair number of blade owners in this thread. Are any of you all experiencing issues with unbalanced light across the bar, or power cord wire exposure where it connects to the fixture like I’ve seen in some other threads?

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering about this too. Obviously there are some problems with these but how widespread is something I want to know too. I really think this is the best light option for my cube. I’d get the Orphek but with a controller they will be quite expensive I think.

RI Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice if we could develop a tank lid to use with the tank rest arms. The low profile is really appealing!

Maybe have 3 or 4 tank lids to add between the blades. It would facilitate maintenance as when needed we would just remove the lids and push the blades together to free up space.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back